Problem saving screen profile file.

Old August 9th 15, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
android

Default Problem saving screen profile file.

In article ,

On 2015-08-09 05:26, Eric Stevens wrote:

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
Something new has clashed with the software.

Some people often have problems with clashing colours, so no surprise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...ement-settings

Can't find a Win 10 guide, but the above may lead you into the
appropriate rabbit hole.

Obligatory snide and superior Mac comment follows. If you MS users
don't feel like being humiliated (again) you may stop reading here.

On a Mac you would just open SysPrefs - display - color and select the
profile of interest (or calibrate from there). You could also use your
colour calibration widget and its s/w would save the new profile which
in turn would be accessible as above (or set it itself).

If you'r "savy" and have unsupported hardware then:

http://www.argyllcms.com/ + http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/
--
teleportation kills
Old August 9th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
PeterN[_2_]

On 8/9/2015 5:39 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip
.

Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

Why would he want to do that. Polite ones are easier to get along with.

--
PeterN
time flies like an arrow

Old August 9th 15, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Savageduck

On 2015-08-09 15:44:08 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/9/2015 5:39 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip
.

Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

Why would he want to do that. Polite ones are easier to get along with.

Sigh!

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old August 9th 15, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 02:39:45 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-08-09 09:29:19 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:42:19 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.

Dammit. I meant Quicktime.

Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
is going to handle that for QT.

I don't know whether it does or not. But it does handle images.

Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

Nope.

...and after the July 31 PS update, did you install the PS CC 2015 fix
made available on August 5?

Yes. But my problems started before July 31 and have continued to this
day.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 08:39:26 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-08-09 05:26, Eric Stevens wrote:

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
Something new has clashed with the software.

Some people often have problems with clashing colours, so no surprise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...ement-settings

Nope: it's nothing to do with that. My problem is that the colorimeter
can't now save the profiles that the color management needs to use.

Can't find a Win 10 guide, but the above may lead you into the
appropriate rabbit hole.

Been there, done that.

Obligatory snide and superior Mac comment follows. If you MS users
don't feel like being humiliated (again) you may stop reading here.

On a Mac you would just open SysPrefs - display - color and select the
profile of interest (or calibrate from there). You could also use your
colour calibration widget and its s/w would save the new profile which
in turn would be accessible as above (or set it itself).

It's supposed to work more or less like that in Windows also, and it
would if the Spyder was able to save it's newly generated profile.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 07:59:57 -0400, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:

Maybe some service has it open. Try in safe mode,
just to limit what starts up.

Also Process Explorer I think can tell you who has a file open.

That's a thought. I will have a try.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.

Dammit. I meant Quicktime.

Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
is going to handle that for QT.

I don't know whether it does or not. But it does handle images.

everything in os x is colour managed, right down to finder icons.
Old August 9th 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan Browne

On 2015-08-09 17:29, Eric Stevens wrote:
It's supposed to work more or less like that in Windows also, and it
would if the Spyder was able to save it's newly generated profile.

Have you contacted the Spyder people?
Old August 9th 15, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:17:15 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

SaveProfileUsingICM
It doesn't help if you spell the function name wrong.

I agree, it doesn't. My apologies. My only excuse is that it was
written in fine grey text on a charcoal background.

I'm not an expert on this, but for what it's worth:

1) It seems to be trying to delete an old copy
and running into a bug in the software.
Maybe a dummy file of the same name would
satisfy that.

When all this started it was trying to delete an existing copy of
Dell U2410-1.icm but no success. I tried renaming the profile it was
trying to save to (say) Fred.icm and had no success with that either.

2) Could the ICM file be saved elsewhere and then
just copied into the folder?

I've got no access to or control over the software which determines
where it is trying to save(
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\...

3) Presumably you have a 64-bit version of the
software? 32-bit that's 64-bit-unaware might
try to save to System32 and fail. (Against all
common sense, System32 is the 64-bit folder
on Win64.)

I've been running Spyder 4 (where the problem started) on 64 bit
Windows for years with no problem.

4) If you think permissions are the issue you can
"take ownership" of the folder and then give
yourself permission. And/or start the program
with elevated permissions. (right click option)

I've done all that.

"net user administrator /active:yes" only makes
the real admin account visible at boot. You would
then need to log in with that account to be a real
admin.

Understood. Administrator under Windows 7 is not a fully empowered
Administrator unless you do as above.

I quickly got fed up with that convoluted nonsense
when I started to work with Win7 and ended up
writing a simple program to *really* free up any
file/folder:
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/nt6fix.php5#restfix

THat's interesting and useful, but I shouldn't have to resort to that.
I'll hold off for the time being.

It's free. You're welcome to it. If you're queasy about
3rd-party software look up CACLS and Takeown. Those
are command line options that can do the same thing
my software does -- just with more work. I *think*
the same can be done manually but the restrictions
mess is so convoluted I've never been able to quite
figure that out for certain.

Then there are the 'special' permissions, some of which are weird.

I wonder about permissions if the software used to
work. On the other hand, if you're enabling Windows
Update without carefully checking exactly what each
patch is doing then all bets are off.

The information provided by Microsoft is usually obscurely brief.

It seems very odd that the people writing the software
have no ideas, but that may be a case for a 3rd-party
factor. Those things can be very hard to track down
because they're unexpected by nature. Though I suppose
you could try killing any process related to Adobe, printer,
etc before you do the operation. That wouldn't hurt.

I'm just about at that stage. A problem is that running a calibration
to get a file to save takes several minutes so the cycle is slow.

Ron Hardin's idea of Process Explorer (sysinternals.com)
is good in general, though if you're trying to write a
file that doesn't exist it can hardly be locked by another
process.

I haven't tried yet and right now I have to go out and pick up my
chain saw. :-)
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Savageduck

wrote:

There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.

Dammit. I meant Quicktime.

Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
is going to handle that for QT.

I don't know whether it does or not. But it does handle images.

It doesn't, and just as with PS or LR display/monitor color management
still rests with the OS, not the applications. You don't install
display/monitor profiles in any application. Your OS applies the
calibration to the display.

Your issue is that for some reason you are unable to save the
calibration profiles you have created. At least that is what I get from
what you have told us. That makes me think the issue lies with either
your current OS installation or the calibration software, or both.

Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

Nope.

OK!

...and after the July 31 PS update, did you install the PS CC 2015 fix
made available on August 5?

Yes. But my problems started before July 31 and have continued to this
day.

I guess that rules out Adobe then.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Saving files to CD and retaining original file dates Dolphin~Smile Cdr 5 November 22nd 07 05:38 PM
Saving Overscan and Screen Adjustments between Resolution changes. Paul Mathews Nvidia Videocards 0 November 18th 06 10:04 PM
Saving Overscan and Screen Positions how ? Home Theatre Guy Nvidia Videocards 0 June 8th 06 04:42 PM
Saving a Bios file EB Dell Computers 1 January 11th 05 10:57 PM
Gateway Profile 2 screen JW Gateway Computers 1 October 25th 04 09:18 PM