Break the law by being a daredevil? (Curiosity questions only.)

Old February 15th 08, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
mike3

Default Break the law by being a daredevil? (Curiosity questions only.)

Hi.

Although I would not probably ever do this in reality at all due to
the danger, I'd be curious as to know what would happen if one opened
up a computer power supply unit. I've heard that one can get in
trouble with the law doing this (unless one has the proper
qualifications?). Is that right, and does this mean that even if I
didn't get zapped, and did this enough times (say 10 counts of illegal
opening of a power supply unit), I could spend the rest of my life in
prison (maximum security prisons, too???)? And furthermore, would just
1 count have _lifelong_ consequences, even if I made it through the
jail term? Are these worse or better than getting electrocuted?

Just curiosity questions: I wasn't really planning on doing something
dumb.

Old February 15th 08, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
SteveH[_2_]

mike3 wrote:
Hi.

Although I would not probably ever do this in reality at all due to
the danger, I'd be curious as to know what would happen if one opened
up a computer power supply unit. I've heard that one can get in
trouble with the law doing this (unless one has the proper
qualifications?). Is that right, and does this mean that even if I
didn't get zapped, and did this enough times (say 10 counts of illegal
opening of a power supply unit), I could spend the rest of my life in
prison (maximum security prisons, too???)? And furthermore, would just
1 count have _lifelong_ consequences, even if I made it through the
jail term? Are these worse or better than getting electrocuted?

Just curiosity questions: I wasn't really planning on doing something
dumb.

Assuming for a minute you are being serious, I should be locked up for life
probably then!

SteveH

Old February 15th 08, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Cregger[_3_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
. net...
mike3 wrote:

[...]

------------

I wonder which country he lives in? Whichever it is, I hope
I never go there. G

Ed Cregger

Old February 15th 08, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
pcbldrNinetyEight

"SteveH" wrote in
:

mike3 wrote:
[...]

Me too. Just call me Sparky.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old February 15th 08, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
RIAA

"mike3" wrote in message
Hi.

Although I would not probably ever do this in reality at all due to
the danger, I'd be curious as to know what would happen if one opened
up a computer power supply unit. I've heard that one can get in
trouble with the law doing this (unless one has the proper
qualifications?). Is that right, and does this mean that even if I
didn't get zapped, and did this enough times (say 10 counts of illegal
opening of a power supply unit), I could spend the rest of my life in
prison (maximum security prisons, too???)? And furthermore, would just
1 count have _lifelong_ consequences, even if I made it through the
jail term? Are these worse or better than getting electrocuted?

Just curiosity questions: I wasn't really planning on doing something
dumb.

I hope there is no death sentence involved. ;)

Old February 16th 08, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
DaveW[_5_]

It is not ILLEGAL to open a PSU, at least not in the USA. But it is UNWISE.
The power capacitors inside store a lethal quantity of electricity in them
long after the PSU is unplugged, and so you can kill yourself. (I suppose
killing yourself could be viewed as illegal...)

--
--DaveW

Old February 16th 08, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
philo

"mike3" wrote in message
Hi.

Although I would not probably ever do this in reality at all due to
the danger, I'd be curious as to know what would happen if one opened
up a computer power supply unit. I've heard that one can get in
trouble with the law doing this (unless one has the proper
qualifications?). Is that right, and does this mean that even if I
didn't get zapped, and did this enough times (say 10 counts of illegal
opening of a power supply unit), I could spend the rest of my life in
prison (maximum security prisons, too???)? And furthermore, would just
1 count have _lifelong_ consequences, even if I made it through the
jail term? Are these worse or better than getting electrocuted?

Just curiosity questions: I wasn't really planning on doing something
dumb.

I always open the supplies when the fan dies.
I have a whole box full of spare fans and cannot see tossing a PS just
because the fan dies.
The reason the caution label is on the supply is to keep people who do not
know what they are
doing from fooling around inside.
It's possible the capacitors could hold a charge and give someone a shock

Old February 16th 08, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
DonC

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
It is not ILLEGAL to open a PSU, at least not in the USA. But it is
UNWISE. The power capacitors inside store a lethal quantity of electricity
in them long after the PSU is unplugged, and so you can kill yourself. (I
suppose killing yourself could be viewed as illegal...)

Lethal? Maybe if you're wearing a ring and hanging onto a grounded point
with your other hand. Otherwise I have to disagree. The voltage may be high
but the total energy is unliikely to kill you unless you work hard at it.

Old February 16th 08, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.legal
Gordon Burditt

It is not ILLEGAL to open a PSU, at least not in the USA. But it is
UNWISE. The power capacitors inside store a lethal quantity of electricity
in them long after the PSU is unplugged, and so you can kill yourself. (I
suppose killing yourself could be viewed as illegal...)

Lethal? Maybe if you're wearing a ring and hanging onto a grounded point
with your other hand. Otherwise I have to disagree. The voltage may be high
but the total energy is unliikely to kill you unless you work hard at it.

If you open up the power supply for a CRT-based monitor or TV, the
high voltages (can be over a thousand volts) on some pretty hefty
capacitors can kill you even if it's unplugged. You still might
need to be fairly stupid to get killed, like grounding yourself.
But I think it is possible and has happened numerous times that
someone can kill themselves by accident.

And yes, I've survived getting zapped, not only with it unplugged,
but with it plugged in and operating and sticking in probes to
measure voltages. In older TVs, the power supply is not a separate
part sealed in a metal box. The high voltages aren't all in the
power supply, either. Use *one* hand and don't ground yourself.
If you don't need it to have power while you are working on it,
unplug it and let it sit for a while. Watch what you touch. And
if you don't know what you are doing, don't try it.

If you open up the power supply for a computer (motherboard, not
CRT monitor), which typically outputs voltages like 5 and 12 volts,
you're a lot safer. The *input* voltages are higher, but since
they are AC, any capacitors on the input side won't have much stored
charge after you unplug them. With it plugged in, there will be
higher voltages present. It's not a real good idea to stick your
fingers in a light socket, either. You don't worry about touching
both ends of a battery when picking it up, do you? The voltages are
low enough to not present a danger.

Sticking your tongue on a 9-volt battery may be unpleasant, but it
won't kill you. Connecting myself to a 12V car battery via jumper
cables in the process of jump-starting another car doesn't even
tingle if you have dry hands. (Warning: the ignition system has
much higher voltages. Do not hold on to spark plug wires while
cranking the engine).