Cat 5.6 and Farcry

Old June 15th 05, 06:32 AM
SD

Default Cat 5.6 and Farcry

I dont ever run the control panel install, i just install the drivers...i
have been running 5.4 cat drivers for a while with never a crash...i read
that the 5.6 with control pannel would speed up farcry load times by 50% so
i upgraded....let the crashing begin (Farcry would just freeze and only a
hard reboot would work)......i uninstalled everything ATI and just installed
the 5.4 drivers again...back to being stable again.....

My question is this....do i loose anything by just installing the drivers
and not the control pannel....and next question is.... was 5.5 any better
than 5.4 or should i just stay where i am....

Giabyte GA-K8NS Ultra
AMD 64 3500+
1 gb dual channel
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

Old June 15th 05, 02:39 PM
Alfred Kaufmann

I just uninstalled the Far Cry demo and Catalyst 5.6 works fine now
for the games I play. Maybe the problem is with Far Cry and not the
ATI driver.

Ak

Old June 25th 05, 11:22 PM
Gordon Scott

SD wrote:

I dont ever run the control panel install, i just install the drivers...i
have been running 5.4 cat drivers for a while with never a crash...i read
that the 5.6 with control pannel would speed up farcry load times by 50% so
i upgraded....let the crashing begin (Farcry would just freeze and only a
hard reboot would work)......i uninstalled everything ATI and just installed
the 5.4 drivers again...back to being stable again.....

My question is this....do i loose anything by just installing the drivers
and not the control pannel....and next question is.... was 5.5 any better
than 5.4 or should i just stay where i am....

Giabyte GA-K8NS Ultra
AMD 64 3500+
1 gb dual channel
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

there are 2 ATI control panels, the regular one and the newer CCC
catalyst control center which requires .net. You can get the drivers
without the CCC, and they allow you to manipulate some 3d and opengl. The
newer CCC has alot of overhead and headaches. I myself havent used it and
dont intend to, basic rule if thumb.. if it ain't broke dont fix it. Find
a driver set that works well with everything you do, tweak it, try to get
the most, then stick with them. Unless drivers are specifically
addressing an issue your having etc. Read the readme's for the driver
sets on ATI's site and the responses here and forums at driverheaven.net
for CAT release comparisons.

Gordon
Old June 26th 05, 07:38 AM
higgy

Gordon Scott wrote:

SD wrote:

[...]

readme's for the driver sets on ATI's site and the responses here and
forums at driverheaven.net for CAT release comparisons.

I tried CCC recently and it was awful on my system. It added a pause to
the system startup (sometimes the screen went black), similar delay on
shutdown, takes ages to load when clicked on and didn't seem to offer
anything that couldn't be done elsewhere.

higgy.