System locks up when I try to install Catalyst ....

Old April 5th 10, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stupot

Default System locks up when I try to install Catalyst ....

......& never gets past the 'checking system' stage

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
work. Have to press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
using the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

System Specs:

i7-930 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
Windows XP Home
Benq display running at 1920 x 1080
Old April 5th 10, 02:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Christian Atteneder[_3_]

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are the
specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).

Old April 5th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stupot

On 5/04/2010 11:51 PM, Christian Atteneder wrote:

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are the
specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).

Yes, the power cable is plugged in. The card works, I just can't install
Catalyst Control centre. I am using the basic display drivers.

The card is a Sapphire HD 5770 on a Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R Board....

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...nterthr ead=y

Old April 6th 10, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Stupot" wrote in message
.....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

System Specs:

i7-930 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
Windows XP Home
Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

Old April 6th 10, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stupot

On 6/04/2010 10:45 AM, KCB wrote:

"Stupot" wrote in message
.....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to
install the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after
about 5 seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del
does not work. Have to press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
using the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

System Specs:

i7-930 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
Windows XP Home
Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

Yep!

I have tried installing Catalyst from the command line, and this locks
the system up too.....
Old April 6th 10, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Christian Atteneder[_3_]

You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are
the
specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).

Yes, the power cable is plugged in. The card works, I just can't install
Catalyst Control centre. I am using the basic display drivers.

The card is a Sapphire HD 5770 on a Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R Board....

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...nterthr ead=y

ATI says that you need at least a power supply with 450W:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...uirements.aspx

Is your power supply good enough? And more important is it a noname PS or a
brand one?

Old April 8th 10, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
goldy[_2_]

Try Installing Your Drivers In The Safe Mode, Running Programs Can
Give Problems.

Old April 12th 10, 10:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stupot

On 5/04/2010 10:49 AM, Stupot wrote:
.....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
work. Have to press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
using the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

System Specs:

i7-930 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
Windows XP Home
Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Problem solved (I think).

Dodgy PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I tried installing an nVidia card
in the same slot and the system froze after nVidia drivers were installed.

Moving it to the second slot - no problems as yet.
Old April 12th 10, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
goldy[_2_]

For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to
be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are
installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you
install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

Old April 12th 10, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Stupot" wrote in message
[...]

Make sure your BIOS settings are correct for what you are trying to do. It
could be that the slot you suspect of being dodgy might not have the proper
settings for your card.