Graphic apeture setting in Asus 9600XT 128Mb on an Asus A7V266-E board

Old February 20th 04, 10:53 PM
Coolasblu

Default Graphic apeture setting in Asus 9600XT 128Mb on an Asus A7V266-E board

What setting should I use ? Currently set to 32MB. Also, should I use
Fastwrite ?

Old February 21st 04, 03:17 AM
Wblane

The best performance I realized was w/a an aperture size of 512MB. Fastwrites
on. This is w/a 9800 Pro 128MB though.

Old February 21st 04, 01:42 PM
patrickp

"Wblane" wrote in message
The best performance I realized was w/a an aperture size of 512MB.

Fastwrites
on. This is w/a 9800 Pro 128MB though.

What setting should I use ? Currently set to 32MB. Also, should I use
Fastwrite ?

At least 64MB, Coolasblu, probably 128MB. I'm using 128MB with my ASUS
9600XT. 512MB is way too much, certainly with most systems and cards, and
32MB too little. As far as fastwrites is concerned, try both and see which
seems to give better performance and stability - YMMV. I was quite suprised
after using many boards/cards that did not support fastwrites or run well
with it on - and the advice often given to turn it off as a cure for all
sorts of ills - that my 9600XT and system actually run better with it on.

patrickp

Old February 21st 04, 05:17 PM
Asestar

As for Fastwrites, it does not matter much. You can try to benchmark your
system (3dm2001se) without it, and then benchmark with it enabled. Go with
setup that gives best results. Most people recommend it disabled, for
Radeons.

As for agp apperture, there is almost no performance gain between
64/128/256/up. However having below 64 is NOT good. Set it to atleast 1/3 of
system ram. If you have 512mb ram, set apperture to 128 and so on.
Note that 128 is not compatible with some RARE games on a few gfxcard/mobo
combination.

"patrickp" - take five to email me wrote in
message ...

Old February 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
Wblane

I don't know if it's because I'm using 98SE or not, but certain maps in
Battlefield 1942 and Unreal II were unplayably slow at anything less than a
256MB aperture size shrug.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:49 PM
Asestar

Strange, but then again it all comes down to individual system config. How
much system ram you use also affect this. It's just to try to find out.

Old February 23rd 04, 10:10 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Well, here's my 2 cents worth.
AGP aperture is the amount of system ram you're willing to let your graphics
card use. It used to be that setting it to 1/2 of your system ram was
considered normal, but I guess things have changed.
When I was running 256mb of system ram, I always set the AGP to 128
(wouldn't want to set it to 256 and use all the system ram). When I just
went to 512 ram, I played with setting at 128 and 256, but there wasn't any
universal difference that I could detect.
Every once in a while when playing CoD, I'd get a momentary slowdown while
the hard drive was being accessed (with stressful graphics settings). This
weekend I played around with 128 and 256 AGP settings again to see if one
performed better than the other in this game. It didn't. On a lark, I tried
setting it to 64 and it seemed to run much smoother. It may not be the same
tonight, but who knows.
This setting seems to go against everything I've learned about how the AGP
aperture works. To me, this setting should have made the game access my hard
drive even more (bypassing system ram), but it didn't. My 3DMark2001SE
scores are the same no matter if it's set at 64, 128 or 256 (I've never had
a motherboard with a 512 setting, so I can't test that).
The moral is, experiment for yourself and if you don't see a difference
don't worry about it.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews