cuv4x-d(ls) - WOL

Old June 1st 04, 05:04 PM
Roye A.

Default cuv4x-d(ls) - WOL

Hello all,
I want to share my findings with you all.

I have a cuv4x-dls ( dual processor ) with a network on board.
I tried to use the WOL feature and failed to do so. after setting the
WOL option in the bios the machine never "woke" up using the magic packet.
I tried to get support from asus, but they told me to update my bios to
the latest one (1016) although I had it and I told them so. since then
every mail was ignored.
so, I tried to "goggle" this problem, and I found many sites, one of
them explicitly mention that the WOL feature doesn't work with the
internal nic card.
I found this very bizarre, because the Intel chip does sopport the WOL
feature.
So I headed to Intel site, checked updates to this chip, and find a
configuration tool that can manipulate the features for this chip.
I downloaded this tool, and gave it a shot, and believe it or not the
WOL mode/option on this chip is shipped from asus in disable mode. (
the WOL in the bios is only for the bios ! )
I change this mode to enable, and wham the machine came to live from a
magic packet.

I don't know if this problem and solution were posted here in the past
or not.
but I thought of posting it, it took me lots of month to find the solution.

See you all,
Roye A

Old June 1st 04, 06:17 PM
Maurizio

Hi Roye
Thank you very much for your addressing this topic and for your pieces of
advice.
As you can read, I independently posted a like message on about the same
time.
Could you give more informationa about that configuration tool which you
write about? Is it Intel Boot Agent? If yes, I noticed that it only works in
DOS mode (not in cmd shell) and WXP hasn't it, isn't it? So how did you
actually flashed your NIC card?
thank you
Maurizio