HELP! CUV4X-E

Old April 21st 04, 09:08 AM
Ron

Default HELP! CUV4X-E

Dismantled old working system to replace case. Moved all original
components to new case. Now, hard disk only spins up when IDE cable is NOT
connected.

Have tried many things. Now wondering about mysterious 2-wire connector
from PSU. It was originally attached to some sort of readout on front of
old tower...now not being used. Also, there was a 2-wire lead attached to
the mobo on a conn labelled "C91", although I have no idea where this wire
used to go.

In any case, I have attached the existing wires as near as I can tell to the
mobo. It will POST, with one beep, and everything seems OK in the BIOS, but
no spin-up on the HDD unless IDE cable off.

Swapping IDE cables has no effect. Swapping Molex connectors has no effect.

Please - this was supposed to be an overnight rush job, and I'm stumped.

TIA Ron

Old April 21st 04, 10:49 AM
Paul

In article , "Ron"
wrote:

[...]

The two wire lead from the power supply could be a thermistor for
measuring case temperature, as the air exits the power supply.
If you have an ohmmeter, with the computer unplugged, measure the
resistance - it should be 10K ohms at 25C air temperature, if
it is a thermistor. In any case, whether it is a fan tacho or a
thermistor, it can be left disconnected. (Basically, as long as
the PS starts, any other leads can be disconnected.)

The picture in the downloadable manual is too poor to help you with
C91. A two wire lead could be for a LED, a SMI# or PME# lead for a
wakeup function, and so on. It could even be the intrusion switch for
the case cover. Are you sure there isn't some other label
on it ? Asus is usually pretty good at labelling stuff.

On the disk drive, I don't know what is up with that. Some drives
have a jumper (something to do with power management), which causes
the drive not to spin up at power up. The BIOS issues a command to
the drive, and then it starts to spin. If a case has a lot of drives,
the staggering of the spinup prevents the +12V from being overloaded.
I presume the cable is keyed and is being inserted the right way.
Other than that, maybe there is some kind of grounding problem that
someone fixed in the original case. Examine the original tower to see
if nylon standoffs were used on the motherboard, or any other
signs of some kind of kludge install.

HTH,
Paul