RAM QVL changes: What happened to G.Skill?

Old December 13th 14, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Percival P. Cassidy

Default RAM QVL changes: What happened to G.Skill?

When a few years ago I put together computers using M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
and M5A88-V EVO motherboards, I used G.Skill RAM modules that were on
the respective QVLs. Today I was checking for BIOS updates and happened
to look at the latest QVLs: only one G.Skill module for each motherboard
-- and not the ones I used, which are still working fine.

Has G.Skill's quality control deteriorated, or ...?

Perce
Old December 14th 14, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
When a few years ago I put together computers using M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
and M5A88-V EVO motherboards, I used G.Skill RAM modules that were on
the respective QVLs. Today I was checking for BIOS updates and happened
to look at the latest QVLs: only one G.Skill module for each motherboard
-- and not the ones I used, which are still working fine.

Has G.Skill's quality control deteriorated, or ...?

Perce

Do you suppose it costs money to get on a QVL ?

Or perhaps you have to donate a few dozen modules
to the company keeping the QVL.

Maybe GSkill is confident enough in their marketing
position, to just skip the "QVL circuit".

There is nothing here to suggest a going-out-of-business
situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gskill

I consider a QVL to largely be a waste of time,
but since every bit of information helps, I'm not
going to totally rule out the reading of such docs.

Some QVL lists, the modules are two years old, and you
can't even find them for sale any more. For example, think
about the AMD situation, where the chipsets are several
years old - any modules they might be tossing around in
the lab, are likely to match the vintage of the chipsets
and no longer be for sale.

Sometimes, I find a warning of a potential problem
in a customer review of a memory product, that does
me as much good. There have been a few memory products,
where for some reason, they work better on AMD or Intel.
And when you see comments to that effect, then you go
to either an enthusiast overclocker site or a tech
review site (Anandtech), to see what the scoop is.

On the last three purchases, I didn't use a QVL, but I
did use a lot of customer reviews. And for the DDR2 stuff,
I ruled out quite a few products, purely by the bad reviews.
The DDR3 I bought, simply verifying it wasn't a disaster
was sufficient. It worked great, no complaints at all.

I haven't bought any DDR4 yet, and I won't be in the market
for a new computer for some time. Budget is blown for this year...

*******

If you want to check GSkill's quality control, read the
customer reviews.

One thing the QVL is meant to "signal", is how much OC
headroom the DIMM slots have. For example, if there is
only one set of "Team" modules, "single sided" for the
top most DIMM clock speed, maybe the setup just isn't meant
for those kinds of speeds. A QVL, well populated from
top to bottom, that's telling you the design/chipset/memory
controller is pretty solid. So it's not always a matter
of no modules being available, but rather the motherboard
isn't all that good for extreme memories. There's more
than one way to interpret a QVL. I doubt the boss in their
lab would be very happy, if all the failing modules got
listed :-)

Paul

G.Skill memory RnR[_2_] Dell Computers 8 November 30th 07 01:51 PM
How do i adjust in the bios my g.skill ram? [email protected] General 2 August 7th 07 06:11 AM
G.SKILL PC2 4200 and P5B Incompatibility? [email protected] Asus Motherboards 0 February 4th 07 04:21 PM
prime 95 stable with dfi nf4 and g.skill tccd and venice? a Overclocking AMD Processors 7 July 3rd 05 06:00 AM