The GA-H55m-s2v motherboard

Old January 18th 12, 08:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default The GA-H55m-s2v motherboard

Peter wrote:
Hello;
From a person who dosnt know. Where in the manual does it explain
whether the motherboard is 32 bit or 64 bit. A friend gave me a unused
motherboard, but i just dont know .

Thanks

Peter

The attribute is mainly with respect to the processor.

You might argue that the ability to address more than 4GB of
system memory, is also important. And that can be a function
of the chipset. For example, there is one old Intel chipset,
which can accept 4x2GB sticks of RAM, and yet when you run
the system, it will only report 4GB of memory as present.
And that's because the system bus on the Northbridge of the
chipset, lacks 36 bits for the address. It only has a 32 bit
address bus. In your case, with the H55, this is irrelevant
(memory controller is inside the processor, no skinny busses).

You need to look up the processor you've purchased, to see what
it is. I have a suspicion most of the processors that will fit
in the motherboard, are 64 bit capable.

We start with the CPU support table from the Gigabyte site.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down....aspx?pid=3601

First, I'll check a cheesy processor, to see what it offers. $87 approx.

Intel Pentium G6950 2.80GHz 3MB Clarkdale 32nm C2 73W 133 F1

We go to ark.intel.com to look up products.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43230/...Cache-2_80-GHz)

"Instruction Set 64-bit"

Try another. Core i3-530.

http://ark.intel.com/products/46472/...Cache-2_93-GHz)

"Instruction Set 64-bit"

It's looking pretty safe. They're all going to be 64 bit capable. You can
use a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS with them.

*******

You may notice graphics connectors on the back of the motherboard.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-457-Z02?$S640W$

Those graphics connectors only work, if there is a GPU (video chip) inside
the CPU package. The block diagram shows the detail. I think it's that
"FDI" path on the side. It makes a video connection from the video chip
inside the processor package, to the output driver in the PCH.

http://ark.intel.com/inc/images/diagrams/diagram-18.gif

On the G6950, it lists

"Integrated Graphics Yes"

so you wouldn't need a graphics card to build a minimal system.

If instead, we look at a Core i5 750 from the Gigabyte list...

http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/...Cache-2_66-GHz)

"Integrated Graphics No"

That means, if you buy the 750 (a very nice processor), it lacks
a video chip inside, and so you end up buying a cheap video card
to provide video (costs an extra $39 maybe). With the 750 installed,
the DVI-D and VGA connectors on the back of the motherboard, won't work.

That's about all you have to watch for. You could also check for
VT-X as an option, but the Windows 7 "WinXP mode" no longer
absolutely needs VT-X to work (Microsoft changed the requirement
after launch). And right off hand, I don't know if any other cheap/free
virtual environments need it or not.

If I look on Newegg, I can get an idea of which processors are
still being manufactured by Intel for socket 1156.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=LGA%201156

Of the lot, this one was the best rated - i3 540. I expect
that's because it is only $99. The quad for $329 is nuts.
You might have to check elsewhere (Ebay?), to find a low end quad
for the socket.

Core Clarkdale
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Core i3-540
Freq 3.06GHz
L3 Cache 4MB

Integrated Graphics Intel HD Graphics
Virtualization Technology Support Yes

That's virtually the same as the processor I'm using, only
I paid about double that for mine (socket 775).

Another thing - open the box holding the motherboard, pull
the plastic cap covering the socket, and visually inspect
the contacts. If any of the contacts are bent or distorted,
or the pins are fouled with dirt, don't bother buying a processor.
If the motherboard is damaged, it would be a more risky project
to fork out the bucks for a processor. Damaged socket contacts also
invalidate the warranty on the motherboard (if it was damaged in
manufacturing, return it to the retailer immediately).

Have fun,
Paul
Old January 18th 12, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message . com
someone claiming to be "Peter" typed:

Hello;
From a person who dosnt know. Where in the manual does it explain
whether the motherboard is 32 bit or 64 bit. A friend gave me a unused
motherboard, but i just dont know .

For whatever it's worth, it's better to put useful information in the
body rather than just the subject.

Anyway, GA-H55m-s2v is 64-bit.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old January 18th 12, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Peter[_24_]

Hello;
From a person who dosnt know. Where in the manual does it explain
whether the motherboard is 32 bit or 64 bit. A friend gave me a unused
motherboard, but i just dont know .

Thanks

Peter

motherboard help. Compaq Presario 5700T Motherboard marq122 via HWKB.com Homebuilt PC's 2 September 7th 06 10:05 PM
Use HDD from AMD Proc Motherboard in Intel Proc Motherboard Sekhar Asus Motherboards 1 August 15th 04 07:41 PM
Help ID Motherboard John Keiser Dell Computers 3 May 2nd 04 03:27 AM
Motherboard ? ST Homebuilt PC's 2 April 28th 04 02:44 PM
MP Motherboard ChNomad Asus Motherboards 1 October 29th 03 11:42 AM