HD replace IDE - SATA

Old July 29th 07, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Thomas Wendell

Default HD replace IDE - SATA

As noted in a question in alt.comp. hardware.pc-homebuilt, IF I have to
replace my HD, how do I g about it??
(HD about to quit?) So far it works....

My MB is an Asus A8n-VM, and as of now (or a week up), I haven't used SATA
drives. But if I replace replace my existing boot disk, WD2500JB (IDE), with
a SATA disk, what should I do.

For now I have SATA disabled in BIOS, so i need to enable it, then do what?
Get the SATA drivers somehow incorporated onto that disk?
And what driver?

And no, I'm NOT interested in doing a clean install. I'd rather just do a
cloning, either with existing Acronis TI or a WD's disk cloner.

Manual:

All OS

Version E2295 2005/10/19 update

Description A8N-VM User's Manual for English Edtion
(E2295)

File Size 2.26 (MBytes)

Download from Global USA Europe China Japan

--
Tumppi
=================================

Old July 29th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

You can still buy a replacement IDE drive, and that might be the easiest
way out.

Obviously, if you use a SATA drive, you have to enable the SATA ports.

You should download and install the SATA drivers for your OS and
chipset. Sometimes the SATA ports are on a chip other than the main
chipset that needs it's own drivers, for example many boards have a
JMicron SATA controller on them (sometimes in addition to chipset SATA
ports), in that case you need drivers for the additional controller as
well (and you need to understand what physical SATA connectors go to
which controller, and the advantages and disadvantages of using any of
what might be multiple controllers for a given drive).

Many motherboards have onboard emulation so that SATA drives look like
IDE drives and don't require actual SATA drivers. This is motherboard
dependent (and also BIOS dependant, and may require settings in the BIOS
setup screens).

I'd install the new hard drive and then (if you can) use some kind of
disk-to-disk cloning software to simply move your existing system
(EVERYTHING) to the new drive (install the appropriate chipset and SATA
drivers before you do this, so the new drive will already have SATA
drivers). Software for doing this comes with most new RETAIL boxed
drives (it does not come with "bare" or OEM drives). You can also use
Ghost, TrueImage or DriveImage (commercial products) for this purpose.

Old July 29th 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Incognitox

"Thomas Wendell" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

You most likely willnot have to enable SATA (probably

necessary only if you plan to run it as in a RAID configuration.
I have a A8N32 mlotherboard, so it should not be that different.

You just clone your present HD's content (with Norton Ghost, Acronis,
or similar software) and unless you keep your IDE drive, that is all
there is to do. If your present IDE drive remains connected, you will
have to select the Boot HD in the BIOS.

Old July 29th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Incognitox

[...]

With WinXP SP2 or Vista, no additional drivers will be required.