P5GDC-V Deluxe build

Old July 23rd 07, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Default P5GDC-V Deluxe build

Ihatefishsauce wrote:
I would like to know now how to pin out my audio from the case as
follows:

Cable from case:

Black = Ground
Red 2 = Mic in
yellow 2 = mic-power
white 2 = R-ret
yellow 1 = R-out
white 1 = L-out
red 1 = L-ret

On the motherboard as follows:
Azalia Compliant pin definition:

Top pins, L to R: GND, | Presence#, |
Sense1_RETUR, | (pin missing), |
Sense2_RETUR
R, | Sense_Send |
Port2-L

for the Legacy AC'97 Compliant pin definition:

Top Pins, L to R:
_

Top pins, L to R: AGND | NC |
NC | (pin missing), | NC
R, | NC | Line-Out-L

I hope my ascii diagarm doesn't get messed up when I post this. My
question is which header do I use based on the above case audio
cables and where do I plug what? Thanks again.

The seven wires you show for your computer case, are "AC'97" compatible.
I have yet to see a computer case with HDaudio/Azalia wiring, so they're
all the same as far as I know.

You want to use the Legacy AC'97 definition of your motherboard header.
You set the BIOS to indicate that you are using the Legacy mode.

The CODEC chip is still HDaudio, so that part doesn't change. The chip
still functions in HDaudio fashion. The BIOS declaration just affects
the computer doing the right thing with the header wiring.

The header only has five functional pins. Four of the header pins are
"NC" or "No Connect".

Your cable has seven wires. Two wires will not be used. The "L-Ret" and
"R-Ret" will not be used. The remaining five wires connect as follows:

AGND === Black = Ground
MIC2 === Red 2 = Mic in
MICPWR === yellow 2 = mic-power
Line_Out_R === yellow 1 = R-out
Line_Out_L === white 1 = L-out

HTH,
Paul

Old July 23rd 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ihatefishsauce

On Jul 23, 2:41 pm, Paul wrote:
Ihatefishsauce wrote:
[...]

Yes it does! Just connected them. Waiting for a couple of more fans
and ide cables, and then it should be ready. Who needs dial up tech
support with people like you? Thanks again Paul. You have it seems a
very deep knowledge of things computer.

Old July 24th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Ihatefishsauce wrote:

Yes it does! Just connected them. Waiting for a couple of more fans
and ide cables, and then it should be ready. Who needs dial up tech
support with people like you? Thanks again Paul. You have it seems a
very deep knowledge of things computer.

Glad to have helped.

Paul

Old July 26th 07, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ihatefishsauce

On Jul 23, 6:24 pm, Paul wrote:
Ihatefishsauce wrote:

Yes it does! Just connected them. Waiting for a couple of more fans
and ide cables, and then it should be ready. Who needs dial up tech
support with people like you? Thanks again Paul. You have it seems a
very deep knowledge of things computer.

Glad to have helped.

Paul

Another question has popped up. Although I have all the wires from
the case plugged in to the right motherborad pins (power, reset,
audio, etc.) I now wonder, and please excuse my stupidity, since the
pin plug can be installed either way on the motherboard pins, for
example - take the "power" plug that is coming from the case wire.
It has two holes in it to be inserted on the two pins from the
motherboard and it is not KEYED, it can be inserted either way--180
degrees. How do know which way is correct. The wires are different
colors---does it matter ? I don't want to power it up if I don't
know this for sure.

Thanks again.

Old July 26th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Hobo

Ihatefishsauce wrote:
On Jul 23, 6:24 pm, Paul wrote:

Ihatefishsauce wrote:

[...]

For the power, reset and audio connectors it doesn't matter.
Only the power led and hard drive led matter. Usually one
side of the pin is marked as +. If you by chance get them on
the wrong way there will be no harm done. If the led's are
not lighting up, all you have to do is reconnect them the
other way around the next time the computer is shut off. You
don't want to be fooling around inside the case with a live
mother board in case you accidentally short something.

Hobo
Old July 27th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ihatefishsauce

On Jul 26, 9:12 am, Hobo wrote:
Ihatefishsauce wrote:
On Jul 23, 6:24 pm, Paul wrote:

Ihatefishsauce wrote:

[...]

Success!! I double checked all connections and finally powered up.
It went right into the BIOS. It's alive! Temperatures seem to hover
at around 118-125 degrees F. The only problem I had was a noisy fan,
which was screwed to the case but when I relocated it, the noise was
gone. It recognized all the 2GB of memory (2048MB) and the drives.
Now that I am in the BIOS, I will need to go very slowly to configure
it. I am now very confused at all the BIOS settings and particularly
the SATA drives. I really don't know how to configure them. I want
to get the most efficiency out of them and am wondering exactly how I
should configure them. Just two 320GB SATA drives. NO RAID.;; Just a
C and D drive. Per Paul's suggestion, the two DVD burners are on the
primary ide channel as master and slave. Can someone please tell me
how exactly to configure these SATA drives for the most efficiency
since I now need to install the operating system (WIN XP SP1).

Thanks all!