K8N-LR

Old July 23rd 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
bman

Default K8N-LR

Does anyone know how to unlock the CPU setting in the BIOS? In the
Advanced CPU configuration everything is there but nothing is highlited.
You can not adjust. The only two things adjustable from that menu are
GART error Reporting and MTRR Mapping. I have the latest BIOS from Asus.
I tried the CD that came with the board opened the utilities and there
is nothing for CPU. I tried the SouthBridge and NorthBridge setting
also. I have Googled this subject many times but nobody seems to be
using the K8N-LR. Is this Asus board non clockable? Thanks for any input.
Old July 23rd 07, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Bman wrote:
Does anyone know how to unlock the CPU setting in the BIOS? In the
Advanced CPU configuration everything is there but nothing is highlited.
You can not adjust. The only two things adjustable from that menu are
GART error Reporting and MTRR Mapping. I have the latest BIOS from Asus.
I tried the CD that came with the board opened the utilities and there
is nothing for CPU. I tried the SouthBridge and NorthBridge setting
also. I have Googled this subject many times but nobody seems to be
using the K8N-LR. Is this Asus board non clockable? Thanks for any input.

The product is listed on the "servers" list at Asus. Server boards are
intended for "reliable" computing, not for overclocking.

http://www.asus.com.tw/products2.aspx?l1=9&l2=-1

If you wish to overclock, try Clockgen from cpuid.com . For at least
some Nvidia chipsets, the program knows how to adjust the necessary clocks.

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

While testing with Clockgen, you should use a separate boot disk that you
can afford to lose or corrupt. For example, make a copy of your boot disk,
onto a separate hard drive. Only have that hard drive connected. The purpose
of this, is to avoid corrupting and losing the real boot drive. Sometimes
the boot disk is corrupted, by the overclocking experiments.

Paul

Old July 24th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
bman

Paul wrote:
Bman wrote:
[...]

So I guess there is no way to open anything in the bios it is all done
through Clockgen? I used that program to up the PCI & the PCIE. I
clocked the 64bit slot to 130mz but I never tried anything with the CPU
yet. Glad to know about the boot drive and other drives connected. I
didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
BMAN.
Old July 24th 07, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Bman wrote:

So I guess there is no way to open anything in the bios it is all done
through Clockgen? I used that program to up the PCI & the PCIE. I
clocked the 64bit slot to 130mz but I never tried anything with the CPU
yet. Glad to know about the boot drive and other drives connected. I
didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
BMAN.

There are several possible corruption mechanisms to worry about as an
overclocker.

1) Corrupted registry caused by bad RAM. If the RAM is not error free,
the registry contents can be corrupted when they are written back to
disk. Also, if installing Windows, corrupted files can be installed,
since they are held in RAM for a short time.
2) IDE cable clock can be derived from the PCI clock. Above about 37.5MHz
there can be trouble. Not all IDE cables get their clock that way, but
some do. Data transfer over PCI can also be corrupted, if the clock is
too high.
3) SATA disks can also have corrupted communications, if the 100MHz clock
used as a source to synthesize the cable data flow is overclocked. I've
heard of SATA drives being corrupted by overclocking. On some Southbridges
that have multiple SATA ports, some ports are more prone to trouble than
others. These things are determine empirically by overclockers.

As for the BIOS design, there is a pattern to it that follows market
segment.

1) Full sized ATX boards generally have the most flexible settings. If you
want to overclock, a 12" x 9.6" board is most likely to do what you want.
2) MicroATX (9.6" x 9.6") boards are considered to be for the business
market (commodity desktops for business use). The BIOS designers don't
consider overclocking to be a priority. In fact, in the past, only a
few boards had the ability to adjust memory timings.
3) Server boards are similar to MicroATX, and are very conservative. Some
boards even lack options to adjust Vdimm, or use a decent value of Vdimm.
There are plenty of people who have overclocked server boards (like the
people over on the 2cpu.com forum), but the methods used are not always
easy. If Clockgen won't work, you can always use a "wire mod" and change
the BSEL pins.

Paul
Old July 25th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
bman

Paul wrote:
Bman wrote:

[...]

I got the program ClockGen and it seems to work fine on this Asus board.
I saw the overclocking menu for the pci slots in there also. I don't
have anything IDE or SATA I run 3 drives all are scsi with a 29360
adaptec card. Never had any problems with them. The memory you mention
does bother me because I don't have overclocking memory. I clocked my
Opteron to 2.4 and it's fine but I use PC3200. I think I will get some
PC3500 before I try any more clocking. Thanks Paul for the information.
BMAN.