Processor Heat Sink Repair/fine tuning

Old January 17th 04, 11:25 PM

Default Processor Heat Sink Repair/fine tuning

Hello,
This may be useful or informative to those of you who install Heat Sinks and
Fans on your processor on the motherboard.

I am building a new AMD-based computer... XP2600+ 333 on a GA7N400 Pro2 MB.
When putting on the new heatsink, I decided to take a few hours trying
different heat sinks & fan combinations, to see what difference in
temperature was reported.

I took off a 'Cooler One' HSF from my old XP 1700+, and looked at the copper
where it contacted the processor.
Nicely polished, but kind of uneven - not flat. Hadn't looked this close
when I installed it.
After hand-machining with a good flat file, I had removed the waves from the
surface.
Installing it, I achieved a temperature reduction of 5 deg. C.

Looking at the bottom of a couple of other aluminum HS, I found they were
not very flat, either. In this case they were all concave, i.e., the center
was deeper/closer to the fan than the edges.
I corrected this on one other HS as well. Cooler by 3 deg. C.
I was pleased by these results, but disappointed by the quality of the heat
sinks I had.

I believe the thermal pad is designed to compensate for the uneven contact
on the processor.
This way, the HS can be made faster/cheaper.

In my experience in utilizing a file for this purpose, I must practice a
process of slowly and carefully removing the material.
This means filing across the HS from different directions, with a fine(not
coarse) flat file that is in very good condition. And often rotating the
file to the other side, and cleaning the file frequently with a file card or
wire brush. Material embedded in the file will scratch the surface that is
being filed.
The cutting action occurs when it is pushing away, due to the design.
Pulling back can have a polishing action, but that's during the final
cleanup.
Other techniques exist... your experience may vary.

I am not recommending anyone do this work as I have described above.
Only reporting my experience - FYI. This is my hold-harmless statement.

If you do choose to do this, please post with your results. Good luck to
all.

Best Regards,
Craig