Why is this HDD so small?

Old March 14th 21, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Frank Slootweg

Default Why is this HDD so small?

micky wrote:
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on 14 Mar 2021 11:27:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

You don't buy things *from* them (at least not in cases like this),
but *through* them. The only thing you get is *financial* 'security',
*if* you spot in time that the advertized item is indeed a lemon.

But the point - which you've snipped - is, (very) weird merchant,
which peddles a mislabeled/misadvertized, no-name device which you're
supposed to trust your data to.

FWIW, we (NL) also have Amazon-like companies (they pre-date Amazon in
Europe) and Amazon is ramping up here. I only use (the merchants which

So you might know...

How much do you think Amazon copied, or could have copied, from the
European Amazon-like companies?

And how much was innovation by Amazon?

For example:
A picture of the item.
Multiple pictures, often from all angles, of the item,
Detailed description, far more than what Walmart usually has, just the
name of the item and 7 or 8 words that describe it.
Ratings by buyers that they post even when they are negative.
Ratings by others also.
Verified buyers labeled (I think this started later, or maybe I just
noticed it later.)
Questions by prospective buyers with posted answers by the vendor?
And answers by other customers?

Ofcourse I can't prove it and neither can anybody disprove it, but
none of these are "innovation by Amazon".

Umpteen - probably many thousands - webshops have most if not all of
these features.

Not that any of these are likely to be patentable, but if they were
and if they were Amazon's IP, I'm sure Amazon would sue everybody's
pants off. Since they don't (sue), they apparently are *not* innovation
by Amazon".

I rest my case, your honour!

sell through) such companies if there's no reasonable alternative and
the lemon-risk is not important. (And I think a lot would have to change
before I would consider buying through or from Amazon.)

Old March 14th 21, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 14 Mar 2021 14:50:17 -0500, Mark
Lloyd wrote:

On 3/13/21 3:01 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

[snip]

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

I have occasionally has problems with Amazon orders (such as a router
that arrived dead), put always got good customer service.

I've had no major problems with them either.

I had an FM transmitter that didn't have enough range. I might have
kept it anyhow but I'd acciedentally bought two of them. Kohs's took
them back for Amazon.

And an electronic thermmoter that showed low battery when I got it. It
still seemed to work except at 96.2, I might be dead, who knows. Well,
the doctor's thermometer just about agreen with mine,

So I put in another battery, ffrom a card with 50 button batteries that
I bought August 8 of last year, and the thermometer still shows lo every
time I start. The problem with the battery card is that it has no date
on it. Other than that it's identical in style to my previous card that
had a printed date but was already expired by a year or two when I
bought it. But only cost a dollar. This was $6.50 and they stopped
printing dates on the card. It still is getting a 4.2 out of 5 rating.

I'll say this, the ad doesn't say it was made in the 21st century, or
even the 20th.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I don't know whether both batteries in the thermometer are weak or
the thermometer shows lo battery when it shoudln't.

Oh, and looking at the list of things I bought, how could I forget a
whole refurbished computer. It just stopped after a little while,
started at 3 minutes, had worked its way up to 45 minutes, but still.
And it wasn't the exact model I'd ordered. But they gave me a pre-paid
return label, all I had to do was repackage it and I paid for pickup
instead of taking it to UPS. I got the refurn no more than a couple
days after the vendor got it back.

A couple days ago, a weekday, I was taking a walk around my n'hood and I
saw the Amazon truck. The guy stopped at least 4 times and delivered to
at least 6 hours out of 109. I have a note in my address, "Please hide
to right", and most deliverers do hide what I get. This guy was hiding
each of them. (Not that theft is a problem but I want to keep my good
recored. In 37 years I've only not gotten one delivery that was noted as
delivered, a repair CD iirc. Rather than hunt for it with the delivery
company I just bought another one. This n'hood is dead almost all day
on weekdays. Everyone's at work or school, few cars in the lot, and no
one is outside. I can hardly believe it was delivered and stolen.)
Old March 15th 21, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Snowshed.

On 3/14/21 5:27 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
You don't buy things*from* them (at least not in cases like this),
but*through* them. The only thing you get is*financial* 'security',
*if* you spot in time that the advertized item is indeed a lemon.

In the US, sometimes things are sold by Amazon, and then shipped by
Amazon. In the ad, you'll see the phrase "Sold and Shipped by Amazon."

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6
Old March 15th 21, 10:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:

I'll say this, the ad doesn't say it was made in the 21st century, or
even the 20th.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do the reviews say ?

You must have a multimeter. Stick it on
volts and test one of these fine fine cells.

Yeah, I know, batteries should have a test load,
but we have to start somewhere. I don't know
what kinda junk room you've got, so I can't
be making up recipes using ingredients you don't have.

Multimeters cost, like, $20, and it's handy to have
to check the odd battery. Some of the motherboards
you get, the CR2032 in those can be absolutely flat.
No load test needed. 0 volts.

Paul
Old March 15th 21, 12:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Frank Slootweg

Snowshed. wrote:
On 3/14/21 5:27 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
You don't buy things*from* them (at least not in cases like this),
but*through* them. The only thing you get is*financial* 'security',
*if* you spot in time that the advertized item is indeed a lemon.

In the US, sometimes things are sold by Amazon, and then shipped by
Amazon. In the ad, you'll see the phrase "Sold and Shipped by Amazon."

I know, that's why I said 'at least not in cases like this', because
the OP was about a merchant other than Amazon itself.
Old March 17th 21, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Andy Burns[_6_]

Ken Blake wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them

From amazon, or from resellers using amazon marketplace?
Old March 17th 21, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Bill[_41_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Ken Blake wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them

From amazon, or from resellers using amazon marketplace?

The distinction can be important, as the return policies vary.
That said, I haven't had trouble with 3rd party sellers on Amazon.
Sellers on Ebay can be "sneakier" however.
Old March 17th 21, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_4_]

On 3/17/2021 11:53 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Ken Blake wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them

From amazon, or from resellers using amazon marketplace?

Both

--
Ken
Old March 21st 21, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Andy Burns[_6_]

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have occasionally has problems with Amazon orders

On Friday I ordered an item, they said it would be delivered on Monday
which was fine, I had taken the free delivery rather than pay for fast
delivery. Today I was out, when I returned home I saw a card in the
letterbox, they'd delivered it early (as they do about one time in
three) and left it behind a plant in my front garden ... thankfully it
was dry.
Old March 25th 21, 06:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 13 Mar 2021 17:39:34 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Frank Slootweg wrote:
micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No offense, but why even consider stuff from weird merchants which
peddle their stuff via Amazon!?

Don't you have *reputable* webshops in the US?

Have you even seen the 'name' of the merchant?

'qingyuanshiyongxinxiecaibaozhuangyouxiangongsi'? Give me a break!
(At least that's what it says when using your URL from The Netherlands.)

It doesn't matter how 'cheap' it is, I would never trust my data to
fishy no-name stuff like that, especially not from a fishy merchant.

Unbelievable.

Google Translate could do that one.

"Qingyuan Intentions Xie Cai Packing Co., Ltd."

Golly, I knew there was one language that Goo translate could translate
from a transliteration to the latin alphabet, but I didn' think Chinese
would be one of them.

The first word may have been intended to be "Clear"
as in "Clear Intentions". Just fiddling with the
translate box a bit.

I don't think so. Qingyuan is a city.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingyuan

Paul