Best way/application to take output from cassette tape via Sound Card Input Jack and record it to CD-R?

Old August 4th 04, 03:12 AM
wizzer

Default Best way/application to take output from cassette tape via Sound Card Input Jack and record it to CD-R?

I am pretty sure that I need to copy to the HDD first and then I can
deal with it. I just am at a loss to remember the best way to take the
Audio Out into the Sound Card and save it in a useful format.

I would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks
Joe
ps, I know it may not be the correct forum and I apologize, but I
don't know the correct one.

Old August 4th 04, 07:11 AM
Buzz

"wizzer" a écrit dans le message de news:
I am pretty sure that I need to copy to the HDD first and then I can
deal with it. I just am at a loss to remember the best way to take the
Audio Out into the Sound Card and save it in a useful format.

I would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks
Joe
ps, I know it may not be the correct forum and I apologize, but I
don't know the correct one.

Try here : www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html
A few explanations on LP and cassette transfers to HDD.

--
Allen Reny
http://www.a-reny.com

Old August 4th 04, 04:36 PM
Matt

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:12:03 -0400, wizzer wrote:

I am pretty sure that I need to copy to the HDD first and then I can
deal with it. I just am at a loss to remember the best way to take the
Audio Out into the Sound Card and save it in a useful format.

www.exactaudiocopy.org - Freeware, well actually postcardware

It can record from line-in to wave, and the noise profiler and reducer
is one of the best in the business - just "process WAV", sample a
section of tape hiss only to profile the noise, and then select the
whole file (or do/undo a test piece first) and apply the noise
reduction.

NB. Noise reduction is villainously slow, but is about the cleanest
implementation of this technique I've heard (manybe I should try it
again in NERO, but last time, Nero made a complete stew of it)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ - Audacity is an excellent freeware
audio editor (with recording capability) - it's not Soundforge, but
then it doesn't cost like Soundforge either.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
Old August 5th 04, 04:39 AM
wizzer

Thank You for the assistance.
I appreciate it.
Lots of info there to digest.

Joe

Old August 5th 04, 04:40 AM
wizzer

Matt
Thanks for the help. I now have the product and await a trip to radio
shack for some cabling needs.

I appreciate the time.
Joe

Old August 17th 04, 02:30 PM
red belair

Well, I was able to accomplish the wiring and get all set up using
Cool Edit.
'played' the cassette and heard the sound through my PC speakers
---created this huge file....and, yep, when I play it back using
anything(music match, media player, etc.) nothing but air!
The file is there--heck I even converted it to MP3---still nothing.

Anyone able to venture a guess as to why? All appeared to be working
OK in Cool Edit, although there is a lot there to look at.

i appreciate the time.
Joe

Old August 17th 04, 03:37 PM
Troy

Did you go into your multimedia and select it to record from your auxilary
input?.Make sure you plug the cables into the auxilary input not the mic
jack.You should hear it through your speakers plugged into the auxilary but
if you don't select auxilary under the record tab in multimedia then you are
not telling the computer what you want to record.Also you can tell if its
recording in cool edit if the meters are moving.

Good Luck
Troy

Old August 17th 04, 07:06 PM
red belair

I created a .pk and a wav file.....while cool edit was 'on' and the
tape was moving, the counter was moving--I am not sure about the graph
though.

I will have to do it again,

is there a 'restore defaults' button of sorts in cool edit? This
presents a busy interface,,

thanks
joe

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:11:19 +0200, "Buzz" wrote:

"red belair" a écrit dans le message de news:
Well, I was able to accomplish the wiring and get all set up using
Cool Edit.
'played' the cassette and heard the sound through my PC speakers
---created this huge file....and, yep, when I play it back using
anything(music match, media player, etc.) nothing but air!
The file is there--heck I even converted it to MP3---still nothing.

Anyone able to venture a guess as to why? All appeared to be working
OK in Cool Edit, although there is a lot there to look at.

i appreciate the time.
Joe

If you created this "huge" PCM wav file with Cool Edit, can you see the graph of this file in the
Cool Edit screen ?
If you can, then you must be able to play it on to your computer loud speakers through Cool Edit.
If it does not work then you will have to examine your computer configuration.

Old August 17th 04, 07:11 PM
red belair

Troy
Thanks.

Well the multimedia is set to record from the Creative PCI device, so
I think that covers it.
The cable from the audio out on the receiver goes into the PCI 128 Aux
In port--the blue one...the mic is the red one and it is now empty.
I am not sure what you mean about hearing it through the speakers
plugged into the auxiliary port though.

While I was recording the cool edit meter was running like the
gasoline pump and the resulting wav file is pretty large--maybe
empty?

Again, i appreciate the time
joe

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:37:04 GMT, "Troy"
wrote:

Did you go into your multimedia and select it to record from your auxilary
input?.Make sure you plug the cables into the auxilary input not the mic
jack.You should hear it through your speakers plugged into the auxilary but
if you don't select auxilary under the record tab in multimedia then you are
not telling the computer what you want to record.Also you can tell if its
recording in cool edit if the meters are moving.

Good Luck
Troy

.. .