Turn your FX5900 into a full FX5950

Old January 10th 04, 05:10 PM
Alan

My benchmark score is only 10500, no different than before the update.

My other system spec is

athlon xp 2400+
512mb ddr pc2100 ram

its probably processor/ram limited so speeding the graphics card up didnt
make any difference

alan

Old January 10th 04, 05:25 PM
Courseyauto

Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
5950 ultra? What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before? What utils arethere to
check the memory and core speed.

Will the memory still be running at the slower 2.8ns or will it now be
2.2ns?

It could be that this update process just fools the pc into thinking
its the better card and nothing more?

regards

paul

Do a cold boot of your system and see what it tells you in the first screen
as to you video card details. DOUG
Old January 10th 04, 05:51 PM
Alan Guest

I have a FX5900SP-VTD256 made by MSI would it work for me?

Alan
"Ads" wrote in message
Just flashed my Leadtek A350 TDH LX and it is now showing as a A380 5950
ultra. Ran 3dmark03 and score jumped from 5100 to 5800. No problems

running
same temps as before.

This is how I did it.......

1 download A380 bios file from leadtek.com.
2 Extract all files and then rename file A380u_2987.rom to A380u.rom
3 Make a floppy boot disk and then send all extracted files to this disk (
a380u.rom,wfflash.exe)
4 Reboot with floppy in.
5 At A: prompt write: wfflash.exe nm a380u.rom
6 when your card is flashed reboot

Worked for me.

---

Old January 10th 04, 07:24 PM
Dan Dan

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:42:35 +0000, wrote:

Ive also got a leadtek A350 TDH LX card.

Surely this cant work? Hasnt the 5950 Ultra got way faster memory and
gpu than our 5900?

Also if the update dosent work, will i be left with a knackered card?

Really want to try this but it scares me to death that i may ruin a
newish card!!

I have exactly the same card. I flashed successfully and found (as has
been reported) that I can up the core timings to higher than before.
For some reason, in my case the memory timings won't budge. I got from
460/960 to 501/960 but..........and it's a BIG but.............I'm
finding that there is no real difference in 3DMark 2003. My previous
score was 5912 and it's now 6020. I put that pretty tiny difference
down to the fact that I probably spent more time tweaking on this
occasion.

The interesting thing is that where before when I pushed it higher
than it could go I was getting artifacts (and bad rendering of the
plane wings in Wings of Fury) on 3DMark 03; but now there are no
artifacts or rendering problems but 3DMark freezes now and
again.....same bottom line though..

I've seen no evidence so far on the various forums that this mod has
any real performance effect on the LX version of this card. The Ultras
and Non Ultras are a different kettle of fish. The only relevance that
the LX card has to the whole issue is that the original Korean site
that reported the mod happened to use it to see if the mod would
work.

Dan

Old January 11th 04, 12:57 AM
The Black Wibble

If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950, what advantage would flashing his card
with an fx5950 BIOS give him?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old January 11th 04, 01:53 AM
f00ge

Right, has anyone actually done this sccuessfully with a Gainward card?

I've tried every ROM and every NVflash version I could find.
None of them will flash my card.
Either I get the readme file displayed, or I get a Board ID mismatch (that's
when using aflash -5 -6 filename)

Whatr version nvflash dod you use?
What exactly was the command line?

Thanks,

Old January 11th 04, 04:45 AM
Armando Arroyo

I used the leadtek with the "wfflash nm a380u.rom" command and it worked
great on my MSI 5900, hope that helps...

--
Greetings,
Armando Arroyo

Intel P4 - 2.60Ghz HTT, 1.0Gb DDR400 Kingston
MSI Neo2 875FIS2R Mobo, MSI GeForce FX 5900,
SB Audigy, HD 80Gb UATA133, Windows XP SP1

k...

Old January 11th 04, 01:33 PM
Nom

"John Lewis" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:57:25 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
wrote:

If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950,

what advantage would flashing his card
with an fx5950 BIOS give him?

None, unless you also believe in leprechauns and tooth fairies. It is
fairly obvious that those indulging in this dangerous BIOS mod have
never heard of Coolbits.

The 5950 has specially selected GPUs and faster memory, allowing
higher default clock speeds than any 5900. BIOS
has nothing to do with the speed in 3D mode. However those
lucky enough with the parts on their specific board can push
up the speed with Coolbits, maybe if very, very lucky to 5950
rates. However, if the new BIOS raises the default clock rate
on a 5900 to that of a 5950 in 3D mode, then it may be necessary
to LOWER the clock rate using Coolbits to make it work
properly again. Beware, the 3D benchmarks do not fully exercise
all speed-related failure modes, regardless of how long they are
cycled. A combination of them with Halo is a much better test,
especially the Halo cut-scenes at very high resolutions. They will
freeze if you exceed memory margins.

Er, I suggest you go and do some research, and get a clue, before posting
such mis-informed rubbish.

You can start with this thread over @ Futuremark :
http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

The 5950U BIOS both raises the GPU's Core Voltage by 0.2v and backs off the
memory timings slightly - meaning you can clock MUCH higher with the BIOS
flash. There are PLENTY of people who couldn't reach the 5950U Clockspeeds
before the flash - and now they can.

BTW, IMHO, this is the most ridiculous thread of the year, so far.
And April 1 is not here yet.

Unfortunately, yours is the most ridiculous post of the year so far. You've
just waded in, with no background knowledge whatsoever, saying that the net
result is zero. This is quite clearly not the case - this story is all over
the web right now, and you'd have seen that if you'd bothered to look !

Old January 11th 04, 04:17 PM
Darthy

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:23:00 +0000, wrote:

Further to my previous post I have installed the latest drivers from
nvidia website and ran 3dmark03. I got 5166. Is this a decent score
for a 5950 ultra? Bear in mind my system spec xp2400+, 512mb pc2100,
k7s5a mobo that only supports 4x agp.

3DMark03 5421 = ATI9800PRO (no overclock) AMD2500+ (no overclock) with
PC333RAM Nforc3 board.

Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
5950 ultra? What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before? What utils arethere to
check the memory and core speed.

www.aida32.hu = free, tells you everything about your hardware, this
is free, 100% - awsome program. Get enterprise version.

It could be that this update process just fools the pc into thinking
its the better card and nothing more?

duno

Play games... should have wrote down FPS in games first.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 11th 04, 04:21 PM
Darthy

wrote:

[...]

Oh ****!!

Guess what we can post!

ATTENTION!!!

New BIOS upgrade converts ALL fx5200 into fx5600cards!!

or New BIOS update converts all fx cards into ATI cards!!