Gateway monitor on Dell

Old January 27th 11, 12:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

Default Gateway monitor on Dell

Still struggling with this, trying to get Gateway monitor to work on
Dell.
All I get is no signal. GW was on Vista while Dell has XP Pro, if
that has anything to do with it.
Old January 31st 11, 06:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman Delivers

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:43:56 -0800, Frank wrote:

Still struggling with this, trying to get Gateway monitor to work on
Dell.
All I get is no signal. GW was on Vista while Dell has XP Pro, if that
has anything to do with it.

* * *
Frank,

I mix and match monitors all the time, the only occasional problem I have
experienced is the dreaded out of range problem. (Setting the resolution
higher than the monitor will display)

I keep a CRT around for that specific Microsoft problem. In Mepis Linux
that is easy to fix, boot with a live cd, and rewriting the Xorg setting
to the root partition...

JR

Old January 31st 11, 08:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On 1/31/2011 1:04 PM, Postman Delivers wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:43:56 -0800, Frank wrote:

Still struggling with this, trying to get Gateway monitor to work on
Dell.
All I get is no signal. GW was on Vista while Dell has XP Pro, if that
has anything to do with it.

* * *
Frank,

I mix and match monitors all the time, the only occasional problem I have
experienced is the dreaded out of range problem. (Setting the resolution
higher than the monitor will display)

I keep a CRT around for that specific Microsoft problem. In Mepis Linux
that is easy to fix, boot with a live cd, and rewriting the Xorg setting
to the root partition...

JR

Thanks for response. I've hooked the monitor up a couple of times, last
time to computer while running and it says no signal and shuts down.

I'm not sure what privileges I have on the computer as it belongs to a
client I consult for and their tech support is out of state. Computer
was just out for a week when I had to ship it to them for software update.

I only spoke to them briefly a couple of weeks ago and tech said it
should work. The monitor on the Dell is an old 15 inch crt and the 19
inch lcd became available from my GW when kids gave me a 24 inch for
Christmas.

BillW50 in ng helped me with resolution on that one as circles were
ovals. I'm spoiled now in stepping down from 24 to 15 inches on the
computers.

Think I'll just let this on sit until my eyes get bad enough that I
can't work without bigger monitor