8X AGP in 1X AGP MOTHERBOARD ?

Old January 14th 04, 07:54 PM
John F

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:14:54 -0500, "John F"
wrote:

I'm running a Tualatin Celeron P3 1.3Ghz overclocked to ~1.5Ghz.

The 5700U won't be maxed out by your current system.
Your OLD OLD (6 years) motherboard is severely out-dated. But yes,
it's a KICK ASS board... very well built. You have it doing things
that Intel never wanted it to do.

For the money you spend on the 5700U, you might as well get the 5900XT
or Plain... Then when you modernize your computer, you can use the card

in the new system.
Check this article out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

If you had the ATI9700Pro (used in the above review), you'd get about
half the performance from the video card than a typical AMD 2400 to
3Ghz P4 computer. (I'm talking AMD2400 and up, not AMD 2400 vs P4)

1 - Memory system, old. Doesn't compare to dual channel DDR
2 - System bus (IDE) - But I suspect you have an ATA-100 add on card.
3 - CPU limition... power power power.
4 - AGP 2x (Your board has this), At least an AGP 4x would be helpful.
5 - OS? Windows98? WinXP has optimized code for modern CPUs.

Check out the feature set of an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board.

I think all things considered (my AGP 2X & voltage issue) I'm going to spend
as little as possible on a GeForce Ti4200 or GeForce3. Then in a year or so
upgrade motherboard AND graphics card. Which card is better for my Abit BH6
v1.0 ? -I'm gonna repost this question I guess...

Old January 15th 04, 06:32 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:54:38 -0500, "John F"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
If you had the ATI9700Pro (used in the above review), you'd get about
half the performance from the video card than a typical AMD 2400 to
3Ghz P4 computer. (I'm talking AMD2400 and up, not AMD 2400 vs P4)

1 - Memory system, old. Doesn't compare to dual channel DDR
2 - System bus (IDE) - But I suspect you have an ATA-100 add on card.
3 - CPU limition... power power power.
4 - AGP 2x (Your board has this), At least an AGP 4x would be helpful.
5 - OS? Windows98? WinXP has optimized code for modern CPUs.

Check out the feature set of an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board.

I think all things considered (my AGP 2X & voltage issue) I'm going to spend
as little as possible on a GeForce Ti4200 or GeForce3. Then in a year or so
upgrade motherboard AND graphics card. Which card is better for my Abit BH6
v1.0 ? -I'm gonna repost this question I guess...

Either card will work about the same on your system.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!