Sound Blaster 16 emulation in new systems

Old September 5th 03, 08:21 PM
Jenny100

Dave wrote:
"Jenny100" wrote
The SBLive requires EMM386.EXE for it to work.

Actually, it doesn't. This is just for the pure-DOS emulation layer, which
does.

I thought that was what Francesco was looking for - sound in
DOS mode - rebooted to DOS - as opposed to sound in a DOS box
with Windows running in the background.

And it's not such a great idea to have loaded a real-mode expanded
memory driver while in Windows 9x, same as a CD driver TSR back in "them
days". I just install the card manually, pointing to the .inf file or skip
the DOS driver install while installing the package. Then, your expanded
memory manager and the DOS driver (the SBEINIT line) can be loaded from a
custom PIF to run something in pure DOS as required.

I use the custom PIF too. I can get more conventional memory that way
and can tweak DOS settings without disturbing Windows. But I also have
the stuff loaded in C:\config.sys and C:\autoexec.bat that the DOS
driver install on the SBLive installation CD put there.

Though, most things run
in a Windows fullscreen DOS environment ok, and there's no trouble with
sound. I would think that only with the really dusty legacy titles that this
would be any problem, and these will run the way I've described.

I wonder which games Francesco is having the trouble with. I've had
no trouble with some games, but with others, like "Lost in Time,"
I only get some types of sound files playing. So Francesco's problems
may be because of the eccentricities of the game he's playing.

Old September 7th 03, 09:06 PM
Roger Squires

I don't want to use DOS emulation under WinNT/2000/XP, because these
operating systems are not friendly with old DOS apps(specially with

games),

Why don't you tell us what games you are going to run. I am also using
a Nforce2 mobo (with no addon soundcard) and I can't think of a dos game
offhand that it hasn't worked fine for.

rms

Old September 11th 03, 10:25 AM
Francesco

I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital installed in an AMD PC system with
the motherboard Gigabyte GA-7N400-L (chipset nVidia-nForce2).

I've tried to emulate Sound Blaster 16 in pure DOS with the SBEINIT tool
provided from Creative, but the emulation doesn't work: SBEINIT initalize
correctly with no errors but SBEGO doesn't detect the emulation.
Maybe my motherboard doesn't support NMI, or it's not enabled (I haven't
found any NMI options in the Award BIOS).

I've contacted the GIGABYTE technical service and they reply to me saying that:
"...after checked the board specification with our R/D engineers, we are sorry
this MB does not support SB16 emulation."
So, it's a problem of my motherboard(NMI?) and I can't do anything for it to
work... :-(