Half Life 2

Old November 19th 04, 06:33 PM
Paul Lower

Default Half Life 2

Hi
I bought Half Life 2 today. After installation it went on to creating a
Steam Account, Survey Steam Games, Steam Survey. I have done all this,
everything but play the ****ing game. Everytime I try to access the game I
am deluged with piles of irrelavant ****e but no game. It tried to load it
once but gave up half way through. I thought I had a reasonable system with
a Leadtek 5900 Ultra and a 3.0 Pentium 4 processor. What do you have to do
to simply enjoy the game.
Paul

Old November 19th 04, 08:30 PM
deimos

Paul Lower wrote:
Hi
I bought Half Life 2 today. After installation it went on to creating a
Steam Account, Survey Steam Games, Steam Survey. I have done all this,
everything but play the ****ing game. Everytime I try to access the game I
am deluged with piles of irrelavant ****e but no game. It tried to load it
once but gave up half way through. I thought I had a reasonable system with
a Leadtek 5900 Ultra and a 3.0 Pentium 4 processor. What do you have to do
to simply enjoy the game.
Paul

Your 5900U works well with HL2. Many other people are playing right now
without problems. I just hope you're using the most recent driver; it
will likely be more optimized for HL2 than previous releases.

Otherwise, I don't see where your problem is? Are you having trouble
using Steam? Is it constantly downloading or updating the client?

I agree that Steam and the product activation are overkill and stupid
for a single player game mostly, but I've also been a user of Steam ever
since the first pre release beta as a closed beta tester. In my
experience, it works fairly well most of the time and most problems are
with the network being oversaturated and not being able to service
enough people at once.

Right now Steam is still flooded and they haven't opened up reserve
content servers for some reason, meaning activation and updating the
client (aka "Updating Platform" dialog) might take a while and be slow
currently.
Old November 19th 04, 10:10 PM
Paul Lower

Hi
I think Steam was still trying to download stuff to me when I tried to
access the game. I have had it up and running since but it was very shaky
with constant lockups.
I have loaded it onto my other machine with an ATI 9800 Pro and it is
running much better but not well..
Why do they have to foul up the installation with all that rubbish and
multiple EULA,s. Nobody ever reads them or gives a ****.
Paul

Old November 20th 04, 05:01 PM
deimos

"deimos" wrote in message

Paul Lower wrote:

[...]

Their publisher (Vivendi) is the one putting all the licensing and copy
protection in. Additionally, there's a EULA for Steam that says
basically you won't cheat or abuse Steam or commit credit fraud, etc.

I know since last post that there's been at least 1 update for HL2, but
it shouldn't be taking this long. Check over at the Steam forums:
http://www.steampowered.com and see what others are reporting.

My copy of HL2 is set to be here Monday'ish, so I'm kind of scared with
all these problems and installation crap going on since release. No 5.1
with SoundStorm??? WTF! That's blasphemy!

Just for reference, Steam itself does work. Before HL2's release,
HL/DOD/CS updates went through flawlessly even with 1000's of people
downloading from content servers. But now there is some real **** going
on with drive incompatibilities, authentication failures, lockups and a
lot of other bad karma.
Old November 20th 04, 08:02 PM
BigJIm

bought the retail version and it is playing fine. I have the latest Nvidia
drivers using a P4 2.6 non HT, Nvidia G4200 and 512 of memory. Runs great at
800x600 haven't tried it any higher.
The security is a bit overkill but I guess they and the rest of the gamming
industry are tried of the pirating. BTW if is a kewel game if you ever get
it running.

Old November 20th 04, 09:45 PM
John Lewis

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:01:31 -0600, deimos
wrote:

I agree that Steam and the product activation are overkill and stupid for
a single player game mostly, but I've also been a user of Steam ever since
the first pre release beta as a closed beta tester. In my experience, it
works fairly well most of the time and most problems are with the network
being oversaturated and not being able to service enough people at once.

Right now Steam is still flooded and they haven't opened up reserve
content servers for some reason, meaning activation and updating the
client (aka "Updating Platform" dialog) might take a while and be slow
currently.

Their publisher (Vivendi) is the one putting all the licensing and copy
protection in.

Vivendi apparently adds unnecessary CD copy-protection. Not clear
why, since Steam authentication is the real anti-pirate protection.
Vivendi is probably using the same standard protection process as
for all their software releases. In the case of HL2 it is just an
additional irritant for retail purchasers in addition to the POS
called Steam.

John Lewis

Old November 21st 04, 02:35 AM
deimos

wrote:

[...]

I did finally figure out why SecureRom was added as well to retail.
Apparently they think it will prevent double registration, distribution,
and returns.

But that's fairly dumb as you already can't register a key twice
(whether you stole it or not, and theft is already a REAL LIFE CRIME),
there was already HL2 distribution made available before retail released
(made from the GCF files), and 99% of all stores do not accept open
software returns (some specifically won't accept returns of games with
copy protection or cd keys of any sort!).

Anyhoo, I'm installing mine right now, I'll know if it all goes well in
about 15 minutes. Later
Old November 21st 04, 06:17 AM
Skybuck Flying

Like someone said on slashdot:

People who buy the game can't even play it...

And people that download the "pirated" versions have no problems at all.

It's kinda amazing that these people are not able to create a decent copy
right protection...

Well can't blame them for trying...

But for christ sake.. now they might loose customers you know..

And besides I will bet anybody that there are always a hell lof of people
who will simply buy the game no matter what.

And there will always be people that pirate it etc.... unless you have
realllly good protection... and these people just dont know how to make
it.... hehehe thank god for the pirates

I just feel a little bad for the people that bought it and then cant play...
ohhhh that s baddddd bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. :P

And worst of all it's a single player game... gjezus.. for ****'s sake lol
hahahaha bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad badb
adbadbadbabdbabdabaabdbdaadaddddddddddddddddd
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Outragous is more like it... but hey... if they (valve) wanna be ****ing
people off... by all means go right ahead lol.

Old November 21st 04, 10:02 AM
NoRemorse

Bought it and played it on the day of the release. No problems. The CD Key
registration failed, but Steam told me that it'll be processed later and
that I can play right now just fine. The thing that ****ed me off was that
Steam had to unlock all the game files so I could play the game. That took
at least 30 minutes.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Old November 21st 04, 02:19 PM
dvus

deimos wrote:

[snip]
Anyhoo, I'm installing mine right now, I'll know if it all goes well
in about 15 minutes. Later

Heh, 15 minutes, eh? (or have you installed 90% of it already?)

dvus