ASUS P5W DH DELUXE: can I add 1GB RAM?

Old August 26th 10, 10:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AroundTheWorld

Default ASUS P5W DH DELUXE: can I add 1GB RAM?

Hi, I'd like to know if I can add 1GB RAM block.
Now my PC has 2 blocks DDR800 1GB each and in total 2GB.
Can I add a third 1GB block so that I will get 3 GB RAM?
Will ASUS P5W DH DELUXE work fine with 3 blocks RAM? The third block
RAM will be different because I don't try to find an equal block.
thanks
Old August 26th 10, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ghostrider

On 8/26/2010 2:57 AM, AroundTheWorld wrote:
Hi, I'd like to know if I can add 1GB RAM block.
Now my PC has 2 blocks DDR800 1GB each and in total 2GB.
Can I add a third 1GB block so that I will get 3 GB RAM?
Will ASUS P5W DH DELUXE work fine with 3 blocks RAM? The third block
RAM will be different because I don't try to find an equal block.
thanks

According to the manual, the options are (a) 1 memory
module in either slot; (b) one pair of memory modules
in either the orange or black slots; or, (c) two pairs
of modules into both orange and black slots.

GR
Old August 26th 10, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clas Mehus

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:57:43 +0200, AroundTheWorld
wrote:

Hi, I'd like to know if I can add 1GB RAM block.
Now my PC has 2 blocks DDR800 1GB each and in total 2GB.
Can I add a third 1GB block so that I will get 3 GB RAM?
Will ASUS P5W DH DELUXE work fine with 3 blocks RAM? The third block
RAM will be different because I don't try to find an equal block.
thanks

Yes, you can. Thus, I guess that will give a drop in memory bandwidth
as you are not taking advantage of a "Dual channel"-configuration
anymore. You need to install identical modules in pair keep Dual
Channel-config (12,8 GB/sec instead of 6,4 GB/sec with DDR2-800).

Now, how much this will impact actual performance is a bit dependent
on what you use the system for - and set up against the advantage in
your use to have 3 vs 2 GB of memory.

If you can afford it, go for a pair of 1 GB-modules to get 4 GB of
memory. Thus, also remember that 32-bit operating system will only
adress at the maximum 4 GB of memory, but also other devices eat from
this memoryspace - e.g. the videoboard. So if you have a 512 MB
videoboard, that will eat 512 MB of the memory space so that only 3,5
GB of your 4 GB of memory can be used. Also other deviced might eat a
bit of the adress space. With 64-bit OS this is not an issue as the
memory adress space is much higher.

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."