Running two graphics cards in PCI-x slots (not SLI) - drivers etc

Old April 20th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Running two graphics cards in PCI-x slots (not SLI) - drivers etc

I built a machine around an E6600 on an Asus P5-something 'Workstation'
motherboard. Runs nice and fast, and I stuck an Nvidia 8800 GTS card in to
drive my monitor.

I want to add a secondary monitor to the setup but as my first monitor's
pretty big (2560x1600px) I want to add a second graphics card.

Is there any reason I can't add a cheap new PCI-x to the second slot on my
motherboard without affecting the performance of the first one? I do a fair
bit of 3D work and the 8800 I already have is working hard but well, and I
don't want to hurt it by adding a lesser card in the slot next door.

Second question - if I was to install (say) a cheapo Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS
(only £25, bargain), how do I control which drivers each card uses? Two
different nVidia cards, one machine. I can imagine all sorts of trouble.

Any thoughts?

Ta, h

Old April 20th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_2_]

You may not know this: there are PCI-E slots, and on workstations there are
PCI-X slots. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME , and are not compatible.

--

DaveW

"h" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Do PCI-X slots take 33MHz PCI cards? Dave (from the UK) Homebuilt PC's 3 March 24th 06 12:54 AM
SLI with PCIe16x slots running at 8x SkyOwl Nvidia Videocards 2 November 26th 05 03:39 AM
Confusion about graphics cards and slots!? Aidan Intel 5 May 16th 05 04:13 PM
PCI cards in PCI-X slots gimp General 1 March 25th 05 10:08 PM
7NNXP PCI Slots:Can't run audio cards?? Elden J Montagne Gigabyte Motherboards 5 October 14th 03 11:30 PM