Can partitioning a disk reduce booting trouble?

Old March 13th 07, 03:27 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.general
[email protected]

Default Can partitioning a disk reduce booting trouble?

Please redirect me if I have stumbled on wrong Group.

Blue screen causes lot of trouble to me.

If I partition the primary disk into size sufficient for operating
system and rest of the size, would my troubles reduce?

Almost exclusibely my troubles are with win2k.

When disk has free space there is always temtation to put other things
on it. Thought by having nothing but OS on C: partition I may get out
of booting trouble to some extent.

Thanks.

Old March 13th 07, 04:13 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.general
[email protected]

On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater
wrote:

No.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
extent.

Old March 13th 07, 04:30 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.general
Bob I

No, only identifying and resolving the cause of the problem, will stop
the booting trouble.

Old March 13th 07, 05:06 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.general
[email protected]

On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater
wrote:

No.

COOSN-266-06-25794

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:13:55 -0700, joshidm wrote:
Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
extent.

On 13 Mar, 16:55, Meat Plow wrote:
Need to figure out the source you your system stops. How about posting the
Stop Error(s) listed on the blue screen?

I am a kind of low level worjer in the game. I read out the error on
phone and get told to remove the disk which eventually gets formated
and freshly set up with OS.

I should have taken down the the long number of the error and 5/6
lines that appear below it.

Two things I remember, one is possibility of virus and another is look
into manual.

I am certainly going to copy the whole thing next time it appears on
next machine ( though how I wish it will never appear).

Regards,
DMJoshi

Old March 13th 07, 05:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win2000.general
Stubby[_2_]

You need to research this on microsoft.com . There are limits such as
the boot partition needs to be within the first 2GB of the disk start
and partitions are limited in size, but I believe this might be a BIOS
imposed limit.

Old March 14th 07, 07:32 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.general
[email protected]

On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner nodeleaf.
wrote:
If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move it
to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other important
things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary
disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go
in error will be resettup with partition, but if error appears, they
will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
option whereby error takes longer to reappear.

However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot on
error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

There is never automatic reboot. Error appears only when machine is
restarted or repowered.

Old March 14th 07, 10:34 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.general
Walter Mautner

wrote:
If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move
it to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other
important things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary

Is it a policy you are talking about?

disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go

Uhm. No, there has to be at least one partition.

in error will be resettup with partition, but if error appears, they
will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
option whereby error takes longer to reappear.

I lost you now. You don't mean partitioning helps to get worn-out disks
working a bit longer, don't you? *banging my forehead against ... let it be
a pillow*

However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot
on error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

There is never automatic reboot. Error appears only when machine is
restarted or repowered.

You mean, the machine has the bluescreen at startup and that one stays long
enough you can write it down? Usually that happens with the
dreaded "unmountable_boot_device" and similar fatal errors only.
So why not do write it down to keep our crystal balls clear?