FUBARed my comp

Old March 18th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default FUBARed my comp

Upgraded my memory today. Because of the big CPU cooler I had to take
the mobo out of the box and the heatsink off the CPU to access the RAM
slots.

When I put the machine back together: nothing.

I've tried it in the box, out the box, screwed down, not screwed down
and with the old memory back. I've stripped the machine of everything
except for the CPU and RAM. No joy.

The only clue is that not only is power getting through - the CPU fan
runs - but also the power gets through immediately the PSU switch is
thrown, regardless of the power switch, or indeed if the switch is
connected.

Any ideas (other than a new mobo and/or CPU)?

Thanks you

Derek

Old March 18th 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Upgraded my memory today. Because of the big CPU cooler I had to take
the mobo out of the box and the heatsink off the CPU to access the RAM
slots.

When I put the machine back together: nothing.

I've tried it in the box, out the box, screwed down, not screwed down
and with the old memory back. I've stripped the machine of everything
except for the CPU and RAM. No joy.

The only clue is that not only is power getting through - the CPU fan
runs - but also the power gets through immediately the PSU switch is
thrown, regardless of the power switch, or indeed if the switch is
connected.

Any ideas (other than a new mobo and/or CPU)?

This is not a good sign. If video card or RAM is poorly seated I would
expect a series of beeps upon powering up. You might have knocked out a
critical component with static electricity if you didn't take precautions to
ground yourself properly prior to handling the mobo.

Old March 18th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I was under the impression that I had taken the necessary precauitons -
have done similar things before sucessfully - but perhaps not.

--
Derek

Old March 18th 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Upgraded my memory today. Because of the big CPU cooler I had to take
the mobo out of the box and the heatsink off the CPU to access the RAM
slots.

When I put the machine back together: nothing.

I've tried it in the box, out the box, screwed down, not screwed down
and with the old memory back. I've stripped the machine of everything
except for the CPU and RAM. No joy.

The only clue is that not only is power getting through - the CPU fan
runs - but also the power gets through immediately the PSU switch is
thrown, regardless of the power switch,

improper wiring of the switch or the switch is no good (atx switch on the
case right?)
stuck reset button
reset wired wrong

Old March 18th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Case fan spins up whether front switch connected or not. No other front
panel connections made.

--
Derek

Old March 18th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Given the lack of apparent damage to both the CPU and mobo, would it be
reasonable to assume ESD damage to the mobo?

Would it be possible for me to damage a CPU with a heatspreader with no
external signs of it?

--
Derek

Old March 18th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I really doubt you killed anything unless you cracked something or an
obvious static spark.
Try removing everything but the essentials. You may have just grounded it or
have a wire or two misconnected.
ps.com...

Old March 18th 06, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I'm already down to just the CPU and RAM.

--
Derek

Old March 19th 06, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Is it possible to knock out a CPUI with a headspreader by ESD?

--
Derek

Old March 19th 06, 08:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:
Is it possible to knock out a CPUI with a headspreader by ESD?

just a sidequestion (from a n00b) - does having an anti-static wrist
strap (properly attached and all) prevent static frying totally?