Would you buy a new PC from eBay

Old March 12th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Would you buy a new PC from eBay

I'm looking to buy a new PC (base unit only) for about £600.

Are the regular eBay sellers who seem to run businesses selling PC reliable?
The PC's I am interested in a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8774604158
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8775116589

Some have good feedback ratings but I'm a bit wary of after sales service
and would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Thanks

Old March 13th 06, 09:41 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Steve wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new PC (base unit only) for about £600.

Are the regular eBay sellers who seem to run businesses selling PC reliable?
The PC's I am interested in a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8774604158

Wouldn't buy with these T & Cs

We offer a full 1 year return to base warranty for all hardware.
Hardware is only covered if we believe it is defective. Any
modifications or usage outside of the original purpose shall void all
warranty with regards to the machine. Any Tampering inside the case will
immediately void the warranty. This warranty does not cover accidental
damage or damage incurred via misadventure or incompetance. Please note,
we do not offer any warranty with regards to software. All returns found
to be faulty due to software installation or misconfiguration will incur
a £50 charge. . We will never downgrade a machine. In some situations
when components are no longer available we will either upgrade or fit a
component of the same specification. The buyer is responsible for all
postage costs with regards to returns. Returns that are damaged in
transit are the buyers responsibility. Element Tech Ltd will not be
liable to incur any costs in respect to damage incured (on returns) in
transit to or from us.. By bidding on this item you agree to be held to
these terms and conditions.

If you open case - Warrenty invalid
Buyer pays return postage costs even within warrenty.

I would spend more than I am prepared to write off on eBay.
Just my 2p worth

Old March 13th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

®Öà wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

Any warranty will be in addition to the customer's rights under SOGA -
which can't be taken away no matter what the company's T&C.

Basically, if the OP isn't prepared to take on a SOGA battle and a small
claims legal case at the local crown court, if need be - then it is
better to stick to the likes of Dell.

I would actually buy stuff from a small company, like those on ebay, in
preference to a large one - they do at least answer the phones and
answer emails. I do have a lot of sympathy for these small companies and
don't have a problem with their, additional, warranty being based on not
opening the case, etc. The protection given by SOGA and DSR is quite enough.

--
Sue

Old March 13th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Palindr☻me wrote:
opening the case, etc. The protection given by SOGA and DSR is quite
enough.

Always provided you don't mind a potential battle to obtain that
protection should things go pear-shaped. The mere fact their T&Cs are
illegal says a lot to me.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old March 13th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Mike Scott wrote:
Palindr☻me wrote:

opening the case, etc. The protection given by SOGA and DSR is quite
enough.

Always provided you don't mind a potential battle to obtain that
protection should things go pear-shaped. The mere fact their T&Cs are
illegal says a lot to me.

LOL, as in, "Basically, if the OP isn't prepared to take on a SOGA
battle and a small claims legal case at the local crown court, if need
be - then it is better to stick to the likes of Dell."

As I also said, I do have a lot of sympathy for the companies as well.
It is not unknown for customers to open the box and fit their own,
faulty, components and then send the machine back... Or worse. These
T&Cs look more designed to scare off the inexperienced and inept plus
those that may be thinking of trying a fast one. Leaving them with
customers that do know what they are doing and aren't going to be a
support nightmare.

I do prefer the, "We record serial numbers and fit tamper proof seals on
all the components used, for your protection" to the "sealed box" approach.

--
Sue

Old March 13th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Palindr?me
opened his gob and said:

The protection given by SOGA and DSR is quite enough.

Yes, but companies don't, as soon as you mention those acronyms, keel
over and say 'fair cop guv'. One often has to fight tooth and nail to
get one's rights enforced...and even then, it is somewhat of a gamble.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 13th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

opened his gob and said:

The protection given by SOGA and DSR is quite enough.

Yes, but companies don't, as soon as you mention those acronyms, keel
over and say 'fair cop guv'. One often has to fight tooth and nail to
get one's rights enforced...and even then, it is somewhat of a gamble.

Quite true, but many consumers either abuse those rights of
misunderstand or misapply them. So, no wonder companies don't "keel
over" at their first mention.

I have had far, far more difficulties with well-known retail outlets
than smaller companies. A small company that knows its customers
individually well enough to establish some form of mutual trust is
ideal, if you can find one. Of course, if you are a major buyer, even
the big companies will want to know you ...Nothing like a 6 figure order
in the offing to get good customer support.

Incidently, it is "her gob"..

--
Sue

Old March 13th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

opened his gob and said:

[...]

I agree but with small firms when you have a problem you are talking to
someone who can understand and make decisions, with the large firms you only
get to talk to the lowest paid member of the staff.Kind of Blind Leading the
blind.

As for misusing there right of consumers.Note How quick some folks jump in
with quote the SOGA (but only these letters) as soon as some one mentions a
fault or problem in the post in here

Old March 13th 06, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Palindr☻me wrote:

LOL, as in, "Basically, if the OP isn't prepared to take on a SOGA
battle and a small claims legal case at the local crown court, if need
be - then it is better to stick to the likes of Dell."

I've taken Dell to the small claims court. "SOGA battle" would be quite
a good way to describe it. Eventually settled out of court with them
offering me a full refund plus a £100 "goodwill gesture".

Do not buy Dell unless you are a masochist and enjoy speaking to
incompetent call centres in Bangalore
Old March 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new PC (base unit only) for about £600.

Are the regular eBay sellers who seem to run businesses selling PC
reliable? The PC's I am interested in a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8774604158
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8775116589

Some have good feedback ratings but I'm a bit wary of after sales service
and would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Don't forget to factor in the price of an operating system with both of
those PCs

;o)