What are my rights

Old March 2nd 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default What are my rights

My Belkin modem/router dies last month.

Asked for an RMA on their website, but after hearing nothing for a couple of
week I spend a week trying to get hold of them over the phone. When I
finally managed they promptly send me a replacement under their life time
guarantee.

Yesterday (after 27 day) they finally looked at my web request and emailed
me to inform me that a replacement was on its way (arrived today).

I mentioned to them over the phone that I already asked for an RMA online.

What should I do now? I emailed them back asking them to arrange for the
2nd one to be picked up, but at their speed of response it is likely to be a
long time before they do that, if at all.

What are my rights? Does the 2nd one become mine after a period?

TIA.

PS: I would have been more sympathetic and I know that we all make mistakes,
but after their appalling service so far I don't have much time left for
them.

Old March 2nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "JoeJoe"
opened his gob and said:

When I
finally managed they promptly send me a replacement under their life time
guarantee.

You call that appalling service!!!!!!!!! You must be in a parallel
universe mate.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 3rd 06, 06:42 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

news
opened his gob and said:

When I
finally managed they promptly send me a replacement under their life time
guarantee.

You call that appalling service!!!!!!!!! You must be in a parallel
universe mate.

You don't think for one moment that their life time warranty is free, do
you? The price of that is, of course, included in the retail price of the
product. Hence when something does go wrong I do expect them to replace it
without the hassle of 27 day for answering an email and/or a week of trying
to get hold of them over the phone.

It is maybe true that other retailers offer even worse service than that,
but it does not mean that I/we need to accept it. It is our (i.e. the
customers in this country) acceptance of such poor customer care that allows
then to get away with such appalling service. Want examples? A retailer
that makes 8p/min profit on a phone call from a customer reporting a fault
with THEIR product? Show me another place in the world where this exist.
Admittedly, it took me a week to get hold of Belkin over the phone, but at
least it was an 0800 number (probably the last one around).

Old March 15th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
[...]

I have switched from using Belkin Wireless Routers because of the high
failure rates.
A cheapy Safecom has worked longer in the field, than 4 out of the Belkins 5
I have supplied.
Its not to say that the other makes have been perfect, but on average they
are ok.
Normally when you return items back to belkin, they ask you to send the
original back, then they test it, and send you a replacement.
My advice is to get the replacement which will be new and sealed, and then
flog on ebay
Use the money purchase and buy a decent router.

Old March 16th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:39:53 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

[...]

IIRC, UK law allows you to take ownership of *unsolicited* goods
after you have jumped through a number of hoops (none of which I can
remember now).

I can't see you being able to successfully argue that the 2nd modem
was unsolicited so I don't believe you have any rights to the second
modem.

*However*, Belkin have a responsibility to relieve you of the problem
of securely storing their property. I'm pretty sure that you could
start billing them for the storage after a period of time but I don't
know the details.

The laws covering this problem date back to when a common scam was to
post unsolicited goods to people and follow them up with bills
accompanied by all sorts of threats about the consequences of
non-payment. They were very effective and stopped the practice dead. I
know that there is a newsgroup dedicated to this type of legal
question - if you can find it, I'm certain you'll get chapter and
verse on what you need to do.

Regards,
vj