Nvidia (lack of) support

Old October 7th 05, 04:38 AM
gluino

Default Nvidia (lack of) support

Hi all,

Do Nvidia reps read this group?

Is it just me? Or does their web ("powered by Right Now") support site
not work?
I have created an account, and I can log in, but when I click "Add a
Question", I get booted out to an earlier menu.
How can I submit a question?

Why is the gamma slider greyed out when overlay is selected?
How can I adjust gamma for overlay video?
Screenshot he
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/8...iawtff25kc.jpg

I've been googling and asking about this issue for months. But it seems
few people have noticed the problem.
I'd like to hear from Nvidia tech about it.

I have ATI cards and their drivers have gamma adjustment that WORKS
correctly for overlay...

Old October 7th 05, 05:59 AM
David Vair

They may read this but don't do support through here. All support should be directed to the actual
manufacturer of your card not Nvidia. Their drivers are posted as a courtesy to end users but not
supported by them all support questions should go to card maker.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

oups.com...

Old October 7th 05, 09:27 AM
Benjamin Gawert

David Vair schrieb:

They may read this but don't do support through here. All support should be directed to the actual
manufacturer of your card not Nvidia. Their drivers are posted as a courtesy to end users but not
supported by them all support questions should go to card maker.

Nope, certainly not. Board manufacturers are the last ones that can (and
will) do anything about driver issues, because none of the board
manufacturers even has driver development ressources. Nvidia delivers
them the GPUs and reference designs, and tools to do simply
modifications to the drivers (i.e. integrating a logo, or hiding several
control panel options, both which is rarely used any more by OEMs these
days). But the board makers have no influence on the drivers itself.
Nvidia isn't providing them for courtesy but because they have to,
simply because they are the only source for drivers...

Same is btw valid for ATI...

As to Nvidia support: well, I wouldn't count on getting answers from
them. In the past we had some issues with Quadro and some application,
but never got any answers even after several contacting attempts. The
same experience was made by friends who contacted Nvidia because of
driver issues they had with their Geforce cards. Again, no anwer.

I really doubt Nvidia is reading here. Especially since most questions
here are about overclocking or which card to buy for a certain system,
and rarely about real issues that might be of interest for them. And
since they even don't do real support over their website, it's very
unlikely they care for us here at all...

BTW: we also had issues with ATIs FireGL drivers (especially the lack of
a control panel with more than three settings to change). We contacted
ATI support and always got an anwer after a few days...

Benjamin
Old October 7th 05, 08:31 PM
deimos

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
David Vair schrieb:

[...]

They seem to check the nZone forums quite often. http://forums.nvidia.com

Have you tried switching to advanced mode and controlling the brightness
curves instead? That definitely gives gamma control.
Old October 7th 05, 11:29 PM
First of One

Quite simply, overlay may in fact not be running. :-) There are several ways
of rendering a video stream. In Media Player Classic, there are at least
five ways:

Overlay
VMR7 (windowed)
VMR9 (windowed)
VMR7 (renderless)
VMR9 (renderless)

I think WinXP by default uses VMR7 in Windows Media Player. What what I can
infer from the help files, it actually uses Direct3D and renders the video
as a texture. One benefit of this is the ability to display custom-written
subtitles for DivX DVD-rips found on BitTorrent.

In Windows Media Player 9, go into Options - Performance tab - Advanced
and uncheck "use video mixing renderer". You may have to disable
YUV-flipping afterwards if the colors go psychedelic. WMP10 should have
similar options.

Old October 10th 05, 08:54 AM
Robert Hancock

gluino wrote:
Hi all,

Do Nvidia reps read this group?

Is it just me? Or does their web ("powered by Right Now") support site
not work?
I have created an account, and I can log in, but when I click "Add a
Question", I get booted out to an earlier menu.
How can I submit a question?

Why is the gamma slider greyed out when overlay is selected?
How can I adjust gamma for overlay video?
Screenshot he
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/8...iawtff25kc.jpg

Probably because overlay uses a different color space and the hardware
doesn't have a native "gamma" control for it. You can play with the
curve manually in "Advanced mode"..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old October 10th 05, 08:58 AM
Ed Light

Set Color Correction to "All" then see if the gamma slider does anything in
overlay. Just maybe.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old October 10th 05, 09:13 AM
Phil Weldon

Yes, [All] is certainly a good choice, otherwise the Red, Green, and Blue
will not track, and the hue will shift with brightness. Not good unless you
like, for example, pinkish dark grays, bluish whites, and greenish midtones.

Phil Weldon

Old October 11th 05, 02:23 PM
Ed Light

"All" meaning both desktop and overlay.