2 video cards on the same system

Old September 3rd 03, 02:51 PM
Willy Radisson

Default 2 video cards on the same system

Hello,

I've got an old celeron 333MHz, with all-in-one MOBO (mobo+sound+video)
i want to install a new ATI AGP card with a TV-Out on it.

Will the two cards conflict with each other??? How do i tell my PC to fully
override the MOBO's in-built video chipset?

I haven't bought the ATI TV-Out card yet, i'm just trying to figure out if
what i wanna do is possible.
Please, please reply quickly, the card's seller won't wait for me very long

Thanks a lot

Old September 3rd 03, 04:35 PM
-

I've got an old celeron 333MHz, with all-in-one MOBO (mobo+sound+video)
i want to install a new ATI AGP card with a TV-Out on it.

Will the two cards conflict with each other??? How do i tell my PC to

fully
override the MOBO's in-built video chipset?

I haven't bought the ATI TV-Out card yet, i'm just trying to figure out if
what i wanna do is possible.

Yes its possible, you should have a bios option to specify the source of the
primary graphics card, e.g. onboard / AGP / PCI. Once that is done, you can
disable your old card.

Old September 3rd 03, 06:48 PM
kony

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:51:35 -0400, "Willy Radisson"
wrote:

Hello,

I've got an old celeron 333MHz, with all-in-one MOBO (mobo+sound+video)
i want to install a new ATI AGP card with a TV-Out on it.

Will the two cards conflict with each other??? How do i tell my PC to fully
override the MOBO's in-built video chipset?

I haven't bought the ATI TV-Out card yet, i'm just trying to figure out if
what i wanna do is possible.
Please, please reply quickly, the card's seller won't wait for me very long

Thanks a lot

Motherboards supporting a Celeron 333MHz are new enough that it's
almost certain that onboard video would be using the AGP port, not
PCI. What this means is that inserting an AGP video card (I'm
assuming you do have, have confirmed the existence of an AGP slot on
the board) will necessarily disable the onboard video. You likely
need to nothing special, just power off the machine, unplug it, insert
the AGP video card, plug monitor lead into it, and you're done.

The BIOS settings for video are generally needed only when there's
onboard AGP video but a PCI video card is used instead, or when both
are used for dual monitor support, to choose which is the primary
video initialized at POST. Having onboard AGP "ported" video built in
makes it impossible for both the onboard video and added AGP card to
be working at the same time, as the AGP "port" is a one-device-only
situation.

Dave

Old September 3rd 03, 08:23 PM
Andy Foster

"Willy Radisson" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I've got an old celeron 333MHz, with all-in-one MOBO (mobo+sound+video)
i want to install a new ATI AGP card with a TV-Out on it.

Will the two cards conflict with each other??? How do i tell my PC to fully
override the MOBO's in-built video chipset?

I haven't bought the ATI TV-Out card yet, i'm just trying to figure out if
what i wanna do is possible.
Please, please reply quickly, the card's seller won't wait for me very long

Thanks a lot

Try reading the motherboard manual. It should tell you if the onboard
video can be over-ridden, and if so, how to do it.
If you don't have the manual, try searching the manufacturer's
website.

HTH

Andy
Old September 3rd 03, 09:48 PM
David Burnett

I just added an ATI Radeon to my system with an onboard vid. (wreaking havok
on the hackers by the way).
You will need to utilize the software and read the manual. It's probably
not plug 'n play.

.. .