Experience with SATA/IDE to USB 2 Adapter?

Old March 24th 07, 04:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
cpliu

Default Experience with SATA/IDE to USB 2 Adapter?

What is your experience with this type of adatper? Does it work for
you? I've purchased twice but can't get them to work properly with
Windows XP and 2000 on 2 different PCs.

I set my IDE drive as master, connected to USB port, and turned the
power on. It mounted the first time, but I got "delayed write failed"
error when copying files to the drive connected. I turned it off and
from then on, Windows can't mount the drive anymore. It appears XP
knows the existence of the drive when connected and powered. The
safely dismount tool would show up at the toolbar of the bottom. I can
stop the drive (although it's never mounted). Tried "scan for hardware
changes" does do anything. The light on the adapter keeps blinking.
Reboot does not make it work either. Once the PC would not boot
without disconnecting the device.

The vender thought it was the problem on my USB or system. I have not
had problem with other USB devices and tried on 2 different PCs. I've
tried 2 CD-ROMs and 2 working IDE hard drives.

Have you seen a working one? It would be very convinient if it works.

Thanks for any advice,

liu

Old March 24th 07, 04:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Stephen

On 23 Mar 2007 21:12:39 -0700, "cpliu" had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

[...]

I have two different ones. I don't plug in the usb connector until
after the drive has spun up and has completed its startup routine. the
only time I have problems, is when I try to use a bad drive or a
really old one.

Stephen
Old March 27th 07, 05:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
cpliu

Thanks for the response. What is the manufacturer of your adapter?
Mine is generic. I wanted to upgrade to a name brand but according to
the vender all the adapters use the same chipset. Name brands just
cost more and nothing else. I've tried it on a laptop with the same
result. XP identified the USB device, and notified that "it is ready
to use." But, I can't mount the drive. I do wait til the drive warms
up.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

liu

Old March 28th 07, 01:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Stephen

On 26 Mar 2007 21:24:34 -0700, "cpliu" had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

Thanks for the response. What is the manufacturer of your adapter?
Mine is generic. I wanted to upgrade to a name brand but according to
the vender all the adapters use the same chipset. Name brands just
cost more and nothing else. I've tried it on a laptop with the same
result. XP identified the USB device, and notified that "it is ready
to use." But, I can't mount the drive. I do wait til the drive warms
up.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

liu

The brand on the usb to ide/sata adapter is Vantec. Bought it locally
at an independent computer shop.

Newegg has it:

Stephen
Old March 28th 07, 10:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
galapogos

On Mar 27, 12:24 pm, "cpliu" wrote:
Thanks for the response. What is the manufacturer of your adapter?
Mine is generic. I wanted to upgrade to a name brand but according to
the vender all the adapters use the same chipset. Name brands just
cost more and nothing else. I've tried it on a laptop with the same
result. XP identified the USB device, and notified that "it is ready
to use." But, I can't mount the drive. I do wait til the drive warms
up.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

liu

I think most of the USB-SATA adapters out there use JMicron chipsets,
which from what I've heard have some compatibility problems. JMicron
is one of the few companies that makes USB-SATA bridges. The rest make
USB-IDE ones but not SATA. See if you can find one that uses a Cypress
or NEC chip for USB-IDE or Oxford Semiconductors for USB-SATA. Those
are the better, USB-IF certified chips AFAIK.