Interesting Memo

Old March 28th 05, 09:43 AM
pengulin

I can see it being a nightmare for Dell support. Most consumers who get new
PCs don't think like the people who post on this group. Many will not see
the value of creating these restore disks, until it's too late.
But the concept is not entirely new. I had to do this when I bought my brand
spanking new Mac Performa from Sears in 1992. 20-some floppies and 3 hours
later, the entire OS and Application bundle was backed up. Well, at least
Dell customers won't have babysit the process shuffling disks back and
forth -- at least the ones with DVD burners won't have to.

Old March 28th 05, 02:58 PM
S.Lewis

"pengulin" wrote in message
I can see it being a nightmare for Dell support. Most consumers who get new
PCs don't think like the people who post on this group. Many will not see
the value of creating these restore disks, until it's too late.
But the concept is not entirely new. I had to do this when I bought my
brand
spanking new Mac Performa from Sears in 1992. 20-some floppies and 3 hours
later, the entire OS and Application bundle was backed up. Well, at least
Dell customers won't have babysit the process shuffling disks back and
forth -- at least the ones with DVD burners won't have to.

Currently the compressed image is small enough to fit on CDR media.
Thankfully, dual-layer DVD R/RW drives are dropping in price considerably
recently.

I picked one up for less than $70 a couple of weeks ago.

But your point is correct; it relies on the user to actually create the
discs and beyond that do no damage to the restore image on the hard disk (or
the hdd itself to not fail).

Stew