backups for a 2T hard drive

Old November 7th 11, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

Default backups for a 2T hard drive

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 15:24:08 -0800, "Nobody (Revisited)"
wrote:

Tape's not a viable option for most users. It's still viable for some
"big iron" IT situations, but even those folks have moved to multiple
media-storage formats.

The last time I looked at the numbers you needed a hell of a lot of
data to make tape economically viable compared to simply extra disks.
Old November 7th 11, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 22:02:33 +0000 (UTC), anotherpaul
wrote:

Never thought I'd ever ask, but what do people use for backing up large
drives, like the 1 or 2 terabyte drives or larger? Hope not a
"cloud/mainframe".

Just installed a 2T onto the router for media (music) & will be doing
a project to rip my CDs to the drive for access via DLNA. I'll be
starting with the CDs that were xferred from vinyl records & will be
listening mostly from the network capable AVR I got earlier this year.

If I know myself abit, the project will take "forever"; but still the
thought of backups will also take forever.

Tape drives still a good option, if found?

Just get another 2tb disk to copy to!
Old November 8th 11, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
anotherpaul[_2_]

wrote:

Never thought I'd ever ask, but what do people use for backing up large
drives, like the 1 or 2 terabyte drives or larger? Hope not a
"cloud/mainframe".

Just installed a 2T onto the router for media (music) & will be doing
a project to rip my CDs to the drive for access via DLNA. I'll be
starting with the CDs that were xferred from vinyl records & will be
listening mostly from the network capable AVR I got earlier this year.

If I know myself abit, the project will take "forever"; but still the
thought of backups will also take forever.

Tape drives still a good option, if found?

Just get another 2tb disk to copy to!

Will do so when the time comes. The idea of a hot swap sata drive
is intriguing but my connection speed will still be limited to the 2T
being connected to the ROUTER via its usb 2.0 port. The harddrive
behaves like a media server on lan; no need to have a computer for
read access; not quite a nas drive but still a network storage device.
The router, Netgear wndr3700v1, has a built-in dlna server.

The 2T external harddrive has a usb 3.0 usb port; also saw usb 3.0
pcie cards on Fry's website. So when the time comes, I'll be getting
a usb 3.0 pcie adaptor & a 2T harddrive as the most resonable
solution.

Have started to convert the converted CDs to FLAC & found that some
CDs need to be tossed as unreadable (was getting cheap stuff at the
computer shows back in 1999); think part of the problem was I didn't
know what the "OPC" process meant at that time.

The tedius part, so far, is entering album & track info for the id
tags as only an occassional cd had info in the freecddb. Should be
easier when doing "real" CDs.
Old November 9th 11, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

wrote:

[...]

For ripping, give this software a try

AUDIGRABBER