model 910

Old February 5th 08, 01:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Default SiS 5598

Bob,

Your best bet is a K6-2 rated at 400MHz with a 66MHz FSB. You can also do
450MHz at 75MHz with a suitably rated CPU (450, 475 or 500), if my early morning
math is correct. Need one? Probably have one in my little shop of computer
oddities... Ben

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:17:53 -0500, "Robert E. Watts" wrote:

Hi Ben

Got something similar to the original posters machine. It's a later model
PB machine, with the ugly clone looking case.

The motherboard chipset is a SIS 5598, running a Cyrix MII 300. (75MHz X 3 )
I just fired it up actually, and it's idling away. Can't tell who makes the
mainboard. Yet.

ATX board, Socket 7, 4 72 pin simm slots, blah blah.

Pretty good markings on the motherboard for the jumpers. Core CPU jumper
settings for 1.8V, 2.2, 2.5, 2.9, and 3.2.

FSB settings from 50MHz to 75Mhz. ( no 83MHz on this board. )

Multiplier from 1.5 up to 5.5X. (maybe a magic 6X in there somewhere ? :-)

Maybe I'll throw a K6-2 in there someday........

bob

Old February 5th 08, 06:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Default model 910

Ok then what is necessary in the bios to make it see the cd rom instead of
getting the 'cd not ready window'? All the primary, secondary, and slave
settings are set to auto. I also noted that when I plug in the usb flash
drive I do not see the cd drive when I open explorer.
I did pick up a bios battery but it was marked CR2032, is this the same as
C2032? When I install it, do I reset the bios to default?
mc

Old February 5th 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

I just ran the Belarc advisor and it says I have an Alladin5 586 chipset
with AGP. It also says the Bus clock is 83 MHz. I have an Award bios FR510
ver 1.18.

So what does any of this mean? Is there a bios update for this anywhere?
mc

Old February 6th 08, 01:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

There are probably no BIOS updates available, although you could check a tech
support site in the UK. The name escapes me but Google will chase it down.

Alladin5 is a SiS chipset, one of the few manufacturers of chipsets for
motherboards. The 83MHz bus clock is probably settable via jumpers and matches
up with the maximum rated bus speed of the processor... Ben Myers

Old February 6th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The CR2032 and the C2032 are one and the same. Some manufacturers mark them
differently. When you replace the battery, the BIOS will complain about the
settings being corrupted and give you a chance to set the time/date again, and
to examine/change other settings.

Either the CD-ROM drive is defective or its connections are not quite right.
Some questions:

1. What is the CD-ROM drive's jumper setting: CS, SL or MA? Look on the back
of the drive.
2. What sort of cable connects from the motherboard to the drive? Does it have
connectors for 2 drives or only one. Does it look like it has lots of little
wires in the ribbon part of the cable, not as many? Compare with the floppy
cable. If it looks like it has more wires, it is an "80-pin" cable. Otherwise,
it is 40-pin.
3. Are the cables plugged in correctly, the ribbon cable at both ends? The
ribbon cable has a red stripe which indicates pin 1 of the cable. Pin 1 has to
be aligned properly, not reversed. On the drive itself, pin 1 is by covention
on the right of the drive, next to the power connector, if you are looking at
the drive right side up from the rear. The orientation of pin 1 on the
motherboard must match the orientation of the hard drive cable, which operates
properly.
4. Does the drive door open and close when you push the eject button?

.... Ben Myers

Old February 6th 08, 01:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Ben thanks for your time on this..
Some questions:

1. What is the CD-ROM drive's jumper setting: CS, SL or MA? Look on the
back
of the drive.

I'll check back with you on this one??

2. What sort of cable connects from the motherboard to the drive? Does
it have
connectors for 2 drives or only one. Does it look like it has lots of
little
wires in the ribbon part of the cable, not as many? Compare with the
floppy
cable. If it looks like it has more wires, it is an "80-pin" cable.
Otherwise,
it is 40-pin.

There are 3 ribbon cables that connect to the 3 MB slots, each cable looks
the same...,
which brings up another question, how do I add another device in the spare
slot (DVD reader) since all 3 cables and slots are used?

3. Are the cables plugged in correctly, the ribbon cable at both ends?
The
ribbon cable has a red stripe which indicates pin 1 of the cable. Pin 1
has to
be aligned properly, not reversed. On the drive itself, pin 1 is by
covention
on the right of the drive, next to the power connector, if you are looking
at
the drive right side up from the rear. The orientation of pin 1 on the
motherboard must match the orientation of the hard drive cable, which
operates
properly.

I'll get back with you on this also??

4. Does the drive door open and close when you push the eject button?

At first the door did open and close normally, but not so normally with the
usb flash drive plugged in.

I did pick up a 2004 used cd rom that I can try later (XM-6802B). Will this
newer cd rom work with the cables?

mc

Old February 6th 08, 03:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:52:52 GMT, "mc" wrote:

SNIP
There are 3 ribbon cables that connect to the 3 MB slots, each cable looks
the same...,
which brings up another question, how do I add another device in the spare
slot (DVD reader) since all 3 cables and slots are used?

If this is a garden variety motherboard, it has two 40-pin ribbon cables for IDE
hard disk and optical drives and one narrower 34-pin cable for one (nowadays)
floppy drive. As noted previously, a 40-pin cable may actually have 80 tiny
wires inside its ribbon, but it still has a 40-pin connector.

The 40-pin cables have one connector at each end, and some have another
connector in the middle, nearer to one of the ends. The two connectors closest
together are meant for the drives, and the other connector goes to the
motherboard. Some cables have only a connector at each end. If you have one
or more of this type of cable, you need to replace it/them, assuming that your
computer's chassis has room for the type of drive you want to add. You also
need to be cognizant of the power supply wattage. If your system has the
90-watt power supply you mentioned earlier, I know from personal experience with
a PB system that adding another device can push the power supply past its rated
wattage. When that happens, either the power supply shuts down the system
(best case) or it burns out, also potentially burning out the motherboard and/or
some of the devices. Definitely a worst case to avoid.

SNIP
I did pick up a 2004 used cd rom that I can try later (XM-6802B). Will this
newer cd rom work with the cables?

CD-ROM drives and all other standard form factor optical drives work
interchangably. In other words, you can replace one with the other with no
problem, and possibly add more capabilities (DVD read, CD write, DVD write) in
the replacement drive. So, yes, the XM-6802B should work just fine. On an
older, slower system, it may never reach its full rated maximum 52x speed, but
who cares as long as it works reliably... Ben Myers

mc

Old February 6th 08, 01:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

HI Ben !

Thanks, I have quite a few AMD CPU's. I have collected CPU's for years. :-)
(That's why I mentioned the 1133MHz Coppermine the other day. Can't find
one. )

I would probably leave the Cyrix in place. I always thought they were
"unusual", and not as common as the AMD or Intel CPU's.

I only mentioned the AMD for "tinkering" purposes only. Might be interesting
to run some benchmarks with both CPU's for fun.

bob

Old February 6th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hello Ben

Would you please send me an email to:

removestuffyoucanfigureoutbobwattsatfusedotnet

Please have your Intel sSpec number handy.

Thank you

bob