DVI vs. VGA

Old June 16th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cheddarhead

Default DVI vs. VGA

I have a Dell 700x, running vista ultimate through a PNY geforce 7600gs... I
am currently using a Sony 17" 4:3 LCD panel, video seems fine, I found a
widescreen panel, 22" for 200 bucks but it only has DVI connectors, would I
notice a difference using dvi interface instead of vga??? Is it that much
better??

Regards

Old June 16th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
motion musso: aka sathia

Cheddarhead wrote:

I have a Dell 700x, running vista ultimate through a PNY geforce 7600gs...
I am currently using a Sony 17" 4:3 LCD panel, video seems fine, I found a
widescreen panel, 22" for 200 bucks but it only has DVI connectors, would
I notice a difference using dvi interface instead of vga??? Is it that
much better??

yes, a lot.

--
777 fanno 21, arriva la volante e non c'è nessuno
Old June 17th 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
peter

You really need to compare the specs of the 20" vs 17"............
LCD run best at their native resolution and you should compare the 2
look at the contrast ratio...thebrightness.........and the Response time
especially if you play games....just be aware that some manufacturers only
give you a grey to grey response time whereas the better ones give you a
true black to white response time.
All things being equal a DVI connection will give you a better picture then
a VGA connection.
peter

Old June 17th 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Venger

"Cheddarhead" wrote in message
I have a Dell 700x, running vista ultimate through a PNY geforce 7600gs...
I am currently using a Sony 17" 4:3 LCD panel, video seems fine, I found a
widescreen panel, 22" for 200 bucks but it only has DVI connectors, would I
notice a difference using dvi interface instead of vga??? Is it that much
better??

Despite what you will hear from some quarters, it is entirely dependent upon
the quality of your VGA setup - a 7600gs is likely pretty decent, as long as
you have a short run, quality VGA cable, you doubtful will see much
difference. If you notice any ghosting on your screen now, that's the kind
of thing you won't see on the DVI. If you have a quality VGA connection now,
you likely will see little if any difference.

Forget image quality between DVI/VGA, the 22" screen will give you much more
screen area and higher resolution capability, THAT is why you'd do it, not
because of DVI/VGA...

Look at it this way - going DVI isn't going to HURT your picture quality...

Venger

Old June 18th 07, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Frodo

Which brand/model LCD is it?
I tried both VGA & DVI with my Samsung 204B 20.1" LCD, using an ATI X800XL.
To me there was no real difference.
Using VGA gave me more settings to play with on the Samsung itself.
But I just use the DVI.
One thing I did notice is updating the video driver software improved the
picture quality, strange.

Old June 18th 07, 11:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

"Cheddarhead" wrote in message
I have a Dell 700x, running vista ultimate through a PNY geforce 7600gs...
I am currently using a Sony 17" 4:3 LCD panel, video seems fine, I found a
widescreen panel, 22" for 200 bucks but it only has DVI connectors, would I
notice a difference using dvi interface instead of vga??? Is it that much
better??

Regards

DVI is fair bit better yes (is it *that* much better, no)

22" TFT with DVI for that much, it's either hot or duff, or prob both
skip ebay and buy new......