Higher clock or more ram?

Old June 4th 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Default Higher clock or more ram?

Hello newsgroup,

I finaly decided to get a card with a x1950 pro chip. But I don't want
to spend much on it. I am torn apart between these two cards:

palit/xpertvision RX1950PRO 512 mb ram

and Asus EAX1950PRO 256 mb ram

the former has more ram, but clocks at 575 mhz (chip) and 1380 mhz
(ram)

the asus clocks at 581 mhz (chip) and 1400 mhz (ram).

So, what is more important? More ram or higher clock?

Old June 4th 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

The difference in clock speed is only about 1%, negligible. In this case the
512 MB card is better.

ps.com...

Old June 5th 07, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
FKS

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello newsgroup,

I finaly decided to get a card with a x1950 pro chip. But I don't want
to spend much on it. I am torn apart between these two cards:

palit/xpertvision RX1950PRO 512 mb ram

and Asus EAX1950PRO 256 mb ram

the former has more ram, but clocks at 575 mhz (chip) and 1380 mhz
(ram)

the asus clocks at 581 mhz (chip) and 1400 mhz (ram).

So, what is more important? More ram or higher clock?

I hope you are just kidding. The difference between 581 & 575? I doubt if an
eagle can notice it.

Old June 5th 07, 07:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

On 5 Jun., 07:18, "FKS" wrote:

I hope you are just kidding. The difference between 581 & 575? I doubt if an
eagle can notice it.

Well, I am still a pupil of the old school. The difference between an
i386 with 25 mhz and one with 33 mhz was quite big in its day.. I just
can't lose this mindset.

Old June 5th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

Well, I am still a pupil of the old school. The difference between an
i386 with 25 mhz and one with 33 mhz was quite big in its day.. I just
can't lose this mindset.

From a 25Mhz 386DX to a 33Mhz 386DX represented a 28% increase in total
clock speed. From a 575 to 581Mhz GPU is a 1% increase. The RAM is a 1.45%
increase.

Old June 5th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
james H

Err.pardon me, your math is different than mine. 256 or 512 is 100%
difference in my books.

"Augustus" wrote in message
Well, I am still a pupil of the old school. The difference between an
i386 with 25 mhz and one with 33 mhz was quite big in its day.. I just
can't lose this mindset.

From a 25Mhz 386DX to a 33Mhz 386DX represented a 28% increase in total

Old June 6th 07, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

"James H" wrote in message
Err.pardon me, your math is different than mine. 256 or 512 is 100%
difference in my books.

There's nothing wrong with my math. I suggest you reread the previous post.
He comments on the difference in Mhz of two old 386 Intel CPU's, and in the
original post he asks about the memory and GPU frequency of two similar 1950
Pro cards and asks if the difference in speed is of any real consequence or
is more dediacted video ram better.

Old June 6th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

There's nothing wrong with my math. I suggest you reread the previous
post. He comments on the difference in Mhz of two old 386 Intel CPU's, and
in the original post he asks about the memory and GPU frequency of two
similar 1950 Pro cards and asks if the difference in speed is of any real
consequence or is more dediacted video ram better.

A RAM increase of 1.45% of course refers to the increase in frequency from
1380 to 1400Mhz.

Old June 6th 07, 06:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
james H

You must be high on crack or something.

palit/xpertvision RX1950PRO 512 mb ram

and Asus EAX1950PRO 256 mb ram

How are these two cards simular?
AGAIN 256 X100%=512. DUH!

Old June 6th 07, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
james H

"Augustus" wrote in message
There's nothing wrong with my math. I suggest you reread the previous
post. He comments on the difference in Mhz of two old 386 Intel CPU's,
and in the original post he asks about the memory and GPU frequency of
two similar 1950 Pro cards and asks if the difference in speed is of any
real consequence or is more dediacted video ram better.

A RAM increase of 1.45% of course refers to the increase in frequency from
1380 to 1400Mhz.

THAT IS THE SPEED OF RAM, and not the amount. DUH!