80 wire IDE drive cable?

Old February 17th 07, 10:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

Default 80 wire IDE drive cable?

Just bought a new DVD writer (got a good price). Manual says you need
an 80 wire cable for optimal performance. At my local computer store,
which is pretty big (but the clerks are clueless), all they had were
regular 40 wire IDE cables. Clerks couldn't help me.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks
Andy
Old February 17th 07, 02:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Andrew Hamilton wrote:
Just bought a new DVD writer (got a good price). Manual says you need
an 80 wire cable for optimal performance. At my local computer store,
which is pretty big (but the clerks are clueless), all they had were
regular 40 wire IDE cables. Clerks couldn't help me.

What should I be looking for?

A computer store with competent clerks. 40 wire cables are by now
historic artefacts. No current HDD works well with them. If no
other source, then mail-order one.

Arno

Old February 17th 07, 05:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

Andrew Hamilton wrote:

Just bought a new DVD writer (got a good price). Manual says you need
an 80 wire cable for optimal performance. At my local computer store,
which is pretty big (but the clerks are clueless), all they had were
regular 40 wire IDE cables. Clerks couldn't help me.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks
Andy

As the other poster said, it's unlikely any computer store even stocks
40 wire cables any more. The 80 wire cables still have forty pin
connectors, so your clerks are probably confused.

Old February 17th 07, 06:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Andrew Hamilton wrote:

Just bought a new DVD writer (got a good price). Manual says
you need an 80 wire cable for optimal performance. At my local
computer store, which is pretty big (but the clerks are clueless),
all they had were regular 40 wire IDE cables. Clerks couldn't help me.

What should I be looking for?

A cattle prod to goose those ****wits with. Just buy what they sell and
check that its got 80 wires before paying for it. Its obvious to look at.

Dont buy the round ones, they are harder to
check by eye and flout the standard anyway.

Old February 17th 07, 10:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Eric Gisin wrote:

The 40 wire cable gives you UDMA 33, which is good enough for any DVD drive.

Wrong with the fastest write speeds.

Andrew Hamilton wrote

Old February 17th 07, 10:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Frodo

The 80 wire and 40 wire look almost the same.
The 80 wire cables are 40 wire ribbon cables with 40 extra grounding wires.
Should be able to find an "80 wire" at www.pricewatch.com or www.EBay.com
or try www.surpluscomputers.com

The 80 wire can be referred to as ATA100 or ATA133 ribbon cable.

As current ATA/EIDE hard drive work at ATA100 or ATA133, any place that
sells hard drives
should stock the ATA100 ATA133 cables.

Old February 18th 07, 12:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...
Eric Gisin wrote:

The 40 wire cable gives you UDMA 33, which is good enough for any DVD drive.

Wrong with the fastest write speeds.

16X * 1.5MB/s = 24MB/s. Well under 33MB/s.

Old February 18th 07, 12:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Frodo

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Eric Gisin wrote:

The 40 wire cable gives you UDMA 33, which is good enough for any DVD
drive.

Wrong with the fastest write speeds.

16X * 1.5MB/s = 24MB/s. Well under 33MB/s.

20X* 1.5MB/s=30MB/s, it's getting closer