x1950pro vs HD2600xt DDR4

Old July 23rd 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Quad_Damage

Default x1950pro vs HD2600xt DDR4

hello!

i plan to buy a new videocard - x1950pro or HD2600xt.
does HD2600xt really have better performance over X1950pro?

thank you!

Old July 23rd 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Frodo

From what I understand, the HD2600XT really shines with Direct X10,
But the X1950 Pro will do better with Direct X 9.

Old July 24th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

The HD2600XT is likely too slow for any DX10 games.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

And this is not something that will improve significantly with newer
drivers. The card is fundamentally slow; in terms of fill rate and memory
bandwidth the HD2600XT is comparable to an old X800XL, and quite a bit
slower than the X1950 Pro.
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1

"Frodo" wrote in message
link.net...
From what I understand, the HD2600XT really shines with Direct X10,

Old July 24th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Quad_Damage" wrote in message
hello!

i plan to buy a new videocard - x1950pro or HD2600xt.
does HD2600xt really have better performance over X1950pro?

thank you!

"Frodo" wrote in message
link.net...
From what I understand, the HD2600XT really shines with Direct X10,
But the X1950 Pro will do better with Direct X 9.

The HD 2600XT is underpowered for DX10 gaming.

There are other features to consider if you want to work with HD or
compress SD using highly complex AVC/H.264 or VC-1. For that
kind of work, the new Avivo and PureVideo features can make a real
difference.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2151671,00.asp

Presents the $100-150 ATI cards that include the newest features.
While they support DX10 and newer shaders, I would not recommend
them for gaming. Their video accelerations look impressive though.

( I find it odd that the HD 2900XT still has the older version of
Avivo. )

Luck;
Ken

Old July 25th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

The HD2900XT has a lot of features "broken" in the silicon, one of them
being the hardware FSAA resolver. UVD may be the other item. Marketing
pressures.

news

Old July 25th 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

I have been planning to upgrade to VISTA and a DX10 board just before
Christmas this year. When I purchased the system I now have, back in
November 06, I got a coupon for Vista with the XP SR2b, and a x1950pro. I'm
not happy with the reviews on VISTA or ATI's DX10 boards for games. The
specks on the HD2900 series is junk. Entry level at best. May have to wait
for a while longer than I thought.

From what I have been reading, Vista SR1 isn't going to be all that great
when it comes to video performance either. It looks like XP sr2b is going
to be the top-dog for a while longer in the gaming world. (I want HALO2 on
my XP!)

Maybe their is to much DRM in the system gumming up the inners. Maybe I'll
pull out the E6600 - Core 2 Dual and drop in a Core 2 Quad in its place for
Christmas. Maybe go to 4 gig (3.2g usable ) to go with XP.

William

"First of One" wrote in message
The HD2900XT has a lot of features "broken" in the silicon, one of them
being the hardware FSAA resolver. UVD may be the other item. Marketing
pressures.

news

Old July 26th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

I've been thinking about this for a while. I'll take back the comment that
these series of boards are junk. They are not. They would do well in any
business computer that a company wants to add DX10 compatibility too, or a
computer that has on-board video that a person would like to upgrade to DX10
with investing little money. Their are needs for this type of entry-level
boards for the market. So I stand corrected. By myself.

Sorry for that comment.

William

"William" wrote in message
I have been planning to upgrade to VISTA and a DX10 board just before
Christmas this year. When I purchased the system I now have, back in
November 06, I got a coupon for Vista with the XP SR2b, and a x1950pro.
I'm not happy with the reviews on VISTA or ATI's DX10 boards for games.
The specks on the HD2900 series is junk. Entry level at best. May have to
wait for a while longer than I thought.

From what I have been reading, Vista SR1 isn't going to be all that great
when it comes to video performance either. It looks like XP sr2b is going
to be the top-dog for a while longer in the gaming world. (I want HALO2 on
my XP!)

Maybe their is to much DRM in the system gumming up the inners. Maybe
I'll pull out the E6600 - Core 2 Dual and drop in a Core 2 Quad in its
place for Christmas. Maybe go to 4 gig (3.2g usable ) to go with XP.

William

"First of One" wrote in message
The HD2900XT has a lot of features "broken" in the silicon, one of them
being the hardware FSAA resolver. UVD may be the other item. Marketing
pressures.

news

Old July 26th 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

The question that ensues is: why would any business computer need DX10
compatibility?

Of course, with Acrobat 8 requiring Shader Model 3.0 to activate GPU
acceleration, maybe it's not so far-fetched...

"William" wrote in message
I have been planning to upgrade to VISTA and a DX10 board just before
Christmas this year. When I purchased the system I now have, back in
November 06, I got a coupon for Vista with the XP SR2b, and a x1950pro.
I'm not happy with the reviews on VISTA or ATI's DX10 boards for games.
The specks on the HD2900 series is junk. Entry level at best. May have
to wait for a while longer than I thought.

From what I have been reading, Vista SR1 isn't going to be all that great
when it comes to video performance either. It looks like XP sr2b is
going to be the top-dog for a while longer in the gaming world. (I want
HALO2 on my XP!)

Maybe their is to much DRM in the system gumming up the inners. Maybe
I'll pull out the E6600 - Core 2 Dual and drop in a Core 2 Quad in its
place for Christmas. Maybe go to 4 gig (3.2g usable ) to go with XP.

William

"First of One" wrote in message
The HD2900XT has a lot of features "broken" in the silicon, one of them
being the hardware FSAA resolver. UVD may be the other item. Marketing
pressures.

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
news ( I find it odd that the HD 2900XT still has the older version of
Avivo. )