How good are ext. HD's?

Old December 5th 03, 05:18 PM
John Wilson

Default How good are ext. HD's?

Hi all,

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive backup solution for, at least
as of right now, about 8 gigs of data. I've been doing the CD-R deal
for the better part of three years, but as the amount of data that
needs to be backed up is always increasing, I'm looking for cost effective
alternates to CD-R's.

Right now, I'm sort of leaning in the direction of an external hard drive
of some sort. The two major offerings, in regard to interface, seem to
be either USB 2.0 or Firewire. My understanding is that Firewire is much
less of a processor burdon as opposed to USB, but is this really a
consideration to take into account? What about speeds?

My mainboard has USB 2.0 ports built into the board itself, however, the
only fireware interface that I have is hanging off of a SB Audigy "Gamer"
card. Is this interface any different than the dedicated firewire cards
that can be purchased separately?

I've also considered the possibility of DVD-R's, but one of the aspects
that sort of frightens me is "putting too much on one single media". This
is sort of where splitting up the data across multiple volumes seems
nice - if one fails, you don't lose the entire set. I s'pose this could
also be argued -against- using an external HD, but for whatever reason,
I have a little more faith in HD's as opposed to DVD-R's.

What do you folks use in regard to backing up 8+ gigs on a bi-monthly basis?

Thank you for your time,
John W.
--
Fine Art Black And White Photography
http://www.solitarylight.com
Old December 5th 03, 06:01 PM
Guido

Great idea.

WD also provides a utility on their web site to clone a drive to their disk
drives.

Maxtor's utility:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow...xblast3win.htm
a.. "The copy feature lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard
drive."

b. etc.

Western Digital
http://support.wdc.com/dlg/facts.asp
Data Lifeguard Tools Software Utilities
a.. Easily partitions and formats the new hard drive.
b.. Overcomes operating system and BIOS limitations.
c.. Quickly and safely copies the contents of the existing hard drive onto
the new hard drive.

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I've also considered the possibility of DVD-R's, but one of the
aspects that sort of frightens me is "putting too much on one single
media". This is sort of where splitting up the data across multiple
volumes seems
nice - if one fails, you don't lose the entire set. I s'pose this
could also be argued -against- using an external HD, but for
whatever reason,
I have a little more faith in HD's as opposed to DVD-R's.

What do you folks use in regard to backing up 8+ gigs on a
bi-monthly basis?

I use a hard drive in a removable tray. It will cost about $ 50 to
60 for a drive and another $ 15 for the tray. The drive I have is a
duplicate of the one in the computer. Set it up as a slave and I can
just turn off the computer, slide in the back up , boot off a floppy
from Maxtor (the maker of the drives) that will allow an exect
duplicate of the drive. In a couple of hours, maybe less the data is
backed up while I am doing other things. Then turn off the computer
and take it out. That way if the hard drive crashes I can be back up
and running in about 2 hours or less if I get another drive and copy
the data to a new drive. If I really need to , I could use the
backup drive and take a chance on that one not crashing on me tuil I
can get a new drive.

For Other data that does not change I do use a cd-r when I think I
have enough new data that I don' t want to loose. Either way is
inexpensive compaired to the time it takes to reload a computer or
recreate the data.

Old December 6th 03, 02:08 AM
Jim Breslauer

FWIW, John, I've connected a 120GB Maxtor in an ADS Dual Link
enclosure to my system via the FireWire port in my Audigy 2 card.
Works just fine. No reason to buy a separate FireWire card.

Old December 6th 03, 02:37 AM
Roby

John Wilson wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive backup solution for, at least
as of right now, about 8 gigs of data. I've been doing the CD-R deal
for the better part of three years, but as the amount of data that
needs to be backed up is always increasing, I'm looking for cost effective
alternates to CD-R's.

(snip)

I bought a WD 80gB USB2 external drive about 4 months ago. I use Acronis
TrueImage to copy a compressed image of my entire drive once a week. I
name each new backup according to the date created (i.e, BU031205.TIB) and
keep all of them on my external drive. When it gets full, I'll start
deleting the oldest backups to make room for more.

My computer is set up to boot any of MS-DOS 6.22, Win98, Win2k or Linux. On
a couple of occasions, having an older backup has saved my tail.

Each full-disk backup takes about 15 minutes. Quick, easy, great insurance.

I store the external drive in a room far away from the computer for safety.
I really oughta make a CD-ROM copy of the really critical stuff every month
or two and store it off-site for disaster recovery.

Roby
Old December 6th 03, 10:38 AM

John Wilson wrote:

[...]

I've been using a Maxtor 40GB USB 2.0 external drive for about 2 years.
It's mostly permanenty attached, so I use it for some routine storage
tasks (mostly MP3's and video files; the machine it's hooked to also
serves as a low-rent music server). It's also my primary backup device
for my most important data files: my rationale is what are the odds of
both the internal HD *and* the external HD failing at the same time?

It's powered up all the time (even when the PC isn't), and has run
trouble free. The only reason I'm considering an upgrade is that they
have become so much cheaper: I can get double the capacity for less than
half the price I paid for orginally.

Since I don't do raid or removable internal drives, external HD seems
like the ideal choice for what I use it for...
Old December 6th 03, 10:40 AM

John Wilson wrote:

[...]

--And because I'm cautious and paranoid about data preservation, I also
back up to DVD's: at 4.7 GB per, they hold all of my (non music/non
video) backup data easily. Of course, now I need to get everything out
of one room:-)