Are Western Digital drives reliable?

Old May 5th 04, 08:27 PM
Richard

Default Are Western Digital drives reliable?

I has a Fujitsu 6Gb HDsix years, never had a problem with it, no bad
sectors or anything. Had my Western 80Gb 7 months and it's developing bad
sectors. Am I just unlucky to get a bad HD? Was made in Malaysia. Western
is sending me a replacement.

Old May 5th 04, 09:02 PM
Mark

My experience with Western Digital is that they are very reliable and
compatible. It sounds like you either had bad luck or did something to the
drive yourself. Drives can be damaged by static electricity or moving them
while they are running or bumping them or dropping them or not having
sufficient cooling inside the case ...

Old May 5th 04, 10:25 PM
Derek Baker

"Tod" wrote in message
My two WD 80GBs run just fine.

"Richard" wrote in message
I has a Fujitsu 6Gb HDsix years, never had a problem with it, no bad
sectors or anything. Had my Western 80Gb 7 months and it's developing

bad
sectors. Am I just unlucky to get a bad HD? Was made in Malaysia.

Western
is sending me a replacement.

Mine too.

--
Derek

Old May 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Richard" wrote
I has a Fujitsu 6Gb HDsix years, never had a problem with it, no bad
sectors or anything. Had my Western 80Gb 7 months and it's developing bad
sectors. Am I just unlucky to get a bad HD? Was made in Malaysia. Western
is sending me a replacement.

Hi,
I use WD drives in all my builds, no problems so far and they perform great!
I got a 80mm case fans blowing cool air onto my 3 drives just in case. . .
--
Wayne ][

Old May 6th 04, 08:19 PM
Richard

"Steve" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:27:08 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

I has a Fujitsu 6Gb HDsix years, never had a problem with it, no bad
sectors or anything. Had my Western 80Gb 7 months and it's developing

bad
sectors. Am I just unlucky to get a bad HD? Was made in Malaysia.

Western
is sending me a replacement.

My WD 80GB went south, too. Endless crashes and OS freezes.
I buy Samsung now, they have a 3 year warranty :-)

I'm pretty sure my HD had a natural fault. But I do wonder about excessive
heating. I might just arrange for better cooling, one never knows if that
might have been a factor. But, my Fugitsu was bolted into the exact same
place.

Old May 7th 04, 07:14 PM
Slug

wrote:

I has a Fujitsu 6Gb HDsix years, never had a problem with it, no bad
sectors or anything. Had my Western 80Gb 7 months and it's developing bad
sectors. Am I just unlucky to get a bad HD? Was made in Malaysia. Western
is sending me a replacement.

I've had better luck with WD than Maxtor but that could simply be "the
luck of the draw". My main HDD now is a Seagate Barracuda but I also
have another PC with a WD and a second HDD on this one that is a
Maxtor. Only the Maxtor has a bad block - still usable though.
Old May 7th 04, 09:01 PM
Scott Alfter