switching HD

Old February 4th 05, 07:02 PM
Al

Default switching HD

If I take a hard drive from a Gateway (Essentials, running ME), and put it
into a Presario 5000, it apparently might or might not run.

BUT, is there any danger to the hd in trying? Could anything on the hd become
overwritten, or would the bootup just fail? Thanks.

(I'm waiting for delivery of new caps to fix the Gateway MB. In the meantime,
I'm wondering if I can run the Gateway's hd on the Compaq.)
Old February 4th 05, 09:58 PM
Nicholas D Richards

In article , Al
writes
If I take a hard drive from a Gateway (Essentials, running ME), and put it
into a Presario 5000, it apparently might or might not run.

BUT, is there any danger to the hd in trying? Could anything on the hd become
overwritten, or would the bootup just fail? Thanks.

(I'm waiting for delivery of new caps to fix the Gateway MB. In the meantime,
I'm wondering if I can run the Gateway's hd on the Compaq.)

Windows will attempt to resolve and install the drivers to the new
devices on your Presario motherboard. It is quite likely to get its
knickers in a twist, particularly if the chipsets are different, which
is quite likely.

I tried this out on a Windows ME installation when I moved from a
motherboard running an AMD Athlone 800 with an AMD chipset to
motherboard running an AMD 1200 and a VIA chipset. ME never did resolve
its problems, and would not successfully execute an application without
hanging. Fortunately I was forewarned and had backed up all my data.

Do not do it.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old February 4th 05, 11:38 PM
Ben Myers

"knickers in a twist". You are too kind. Windows is simply not designed to
handle motherboard swaps if the motherboard chipsets are decidedly different.
There is some chance of success, say 50%, if the hard drive is booted up in safe
mode, ALL the chipset drivers are deleted, AND (most importantly) drivers for
the new motherboard are immediately available on diskette or CD... Ben Myers

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:58:35 +0000, Nicholas D Richards
wrote:

In article , Al
writes

Old February 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Al

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:38:55 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
Myers) wrote:

Windows is simply not designed to
handle motherboard swaps if the motherboard chipsets are decidedly different.

thanks to both of you for keeping me from banging into that brick wall. I
suppose I can take the hd from the broken Gateway and install it as slave on
the Compaq - once I get the Compaq's problem with ndis.vxd solved.

Old February 16th 05, 06:15 PM
Ben Myers

Talk about confusing. The HPaq web site has 7 different models of Presario
5000. The web site shows detailed specs for only two of them.

Both have "Integrated AC97 audio".

One motherboard is made by MSI and has an AMD Athlon processor.

The other model has an Asus P4G533 motherboard with Realtek ALC202A audio chip.

Needless to say, the HPaq web site is of little use for the drivers themselves.
I think I would open up the chassis, look for the audio chip mounted on the
motherboard, determine the audio chip manufacturer and chip model, then go to
the chip manufacturer's web site to find drivers. This approach usually works
for me when I have to some sort of fixup or software install on a system for
which I do not have manufacturer's driver CDs... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:33:38 GMT, (Al) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:02:04 GMT,
(Al) wrote:

If I take a hard drive from a Gateway (Essentials, running ME), and put it
into a Presario 5000, it apparently might or might not run.

BUT, is there any danger to the hd in trying? Could anything on the hd become
overwritten, or would the bootup just fail? Thanks.

(I'm waiting for delivery of new caps to fix the Gateway MB. In the meantime,
I'm wondering if I can run the Gateway's hd on the Compaq.)

fwiw, I did do the swap, in this way: deleting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Enum,
rebooting, deleting duplicates in Device Manager, etc.

in this case, it worked like a charm - except for the device specific drivers
which I did not have on independent disks, like sound, video and modem. I
downloaded drivers for PcTel Platinum, and got the modem working; took nVidia
Vanta drivers from the old Compaq disk, got the display working (mostly, since
dxDiag hangs on some tests); but the sound will not work yet.