Help: when I run QR disc I get blue screen

Old January 18th 05, 09:07 PM
Alan Kerr

Default Help: when I run QR disc I get blue screen

Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Alan
Old January 20th 05, 07:42 PM
Alan Kerr

Alan Kerr wrote:
Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Alan

just to add some more, I think my disk just needs reformatting but I
don't know how to do it. When I install the QR disk it runs a little
then just stalls with a blue screen.

Alan
Old January 21st 05, 12:50 PM
Nicholas D Richards

In article , Alan Kerr
writes
Alan Kerr wrote:
Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Alan

just to add some more, I think my disk just needs reformatting but I
don't know how to do it. When I install the QR disk it runs a little
then just stalls with a blue screen.

Alan

The QR should format the disk for you.

Do you have a setup password set in the BIOS? Remove it. On some
Compaq Presario's it stops the restore. In the cases that I have seen
there is an error message indicating that the disk is faulty, it isn't.

It would be worth setting the BIOS settings to default.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old January 21st 05, 07:41 PM
Alan Kerr

How do I get to the BIOS settings? When I insert the QR disk it starts
up and asks me what language to install then it gives the first two
pages where I hit "any other key" as it asks and the second page where I
do this turns to just a blue page and thats it. This happened once
before when I first bought this machine and someone on this newsgroup
told me some keys to hit straight after the "Compaq" page and it gave me
options where I was able to do the install. I wish I had kept the info
in a safe place instead of in the "saved" folder on my laptop

Cheers
Alan

Nicholas D Richards wrote:
In article , Alan Kerr
writes

Old January 21st 05, 09:28 PM
Nicholas D Richards

The thought occurs to me that I should have asked you why you wanted to
run the QR on you notebook. I ask this as the question must arise as to
whether the problem (if there is one) that makes you want to QR your
notebook is also causing this problem.

To reset your BIOS reboot and as soon as the red COMPAQ screen appears
when you start your machine press F10, you may need to do this a couple
of times.

You should get a message appear at the bottom of the COMPAQ screen
telling you that SETUP is starting.

If you go into the setup without a password being requested you will not
need to cancel this. If you do need a password I hope you know it.
This password is nothing to do with your Windows passwords. If you do
need a password and do not know the password, things become more
complicated as it involves an element of dissassembly of the notebook.

Hopefully you do not need a password or you know it. If you need to
remove the setup password look for security or setup password, (this
varies from computer to computer and I do not know the 1200 series,
except from its manual), you usually cancel a password in the BIOS by
entering an empty password and confirming it .

Look for Load Defaults on the first screen. Activate this and then look
for Save an exit. Activate this and the machine will reboot. Try the
QR again.

If this does not work then I would suggest you follow the following URL
and select either 'e-mail technical support' or 'chat with an on-line
with a technician'. I would suggest the latter, it does seem to work
quite well.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=en&product=95
053&dest_page=product&cc=us&

In article , Alan Kerr
writes
How do I get to the BIOS settings? When I insert the QR disk it starts
up and asks me what language to install then it gives the first two
pages where I hit "any other key" as it asks and the second page where I
do this turns to just a blue page and thats it. This happened once
before when I first bought this machine and someone on this newsgroup
told me some keys to hit straight after the "Compaq" page and it gave me
options where I was able to do the install. I wish I had kept the info
in a safe place instead of in the "saved" folder on my laptop

Cheers
Alan

Nicholas D Richards wrote:
In article , Alan Kerr
writes

Old January 21st 05, 11:52 PM
Alan Kerr

I removed the 40GB drive and was going to use that in an external HDD
and fit the original 5GB HDD back into the laptop. I fitted the 40GB
into an external case and went to format it but ran into trouble trying
to remove the partition. I then decided to put it back in the laptop but
the system won't reinstall.

Alan

Nicholas D Richards wrote:
[...]

Nicholas D Richards wrote:

In article , Alan Kerr
writes

Old January 22nd 05, 02:00 PM
Nicholas D Richards

I take it that the QR did instal successfully on the 40GB drive on a
previous occasion?

Check the ribbon cables to the hard drive and the cd-rom drive. Are
they seated properly and folded away correctly. To check the seating,
unplug and replug. Do the plugs look as if they have gone in correctly
and are they square in their sockets. Are any pins bent. The plugs
should go in smoothly without any excessive force. The reference manual
that illustrates the correct way of folding the ribbons can be found at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c00000584.pdf

When you go into the BIOS settings, can the BIOS correctly identify the
40 GB drive? If not, the drive is dead, there is a problem with the
connection to the drive or the BIOS is not capable of supporting the
drive.

Does the original drive still work and if the original OS is still on
there, does it work and can it see the cd-rom drive correctly? Can it
see the contents of the QR cd-rom? If the original drive still has an
operation OS I would not suggest attempting to run the QR against it.

Is the QR cd-rom clean? Careful how you clean it. Only wipe it from
the centre out not along the circumference.

Which operating system does the QR load, a Windows 9x or Windows NT,
2000 or XP. If the QR is attempting to reload Windows 9x and you had
upgraded to an NTFS aware operating system on the 40GB drive, and
converted to NTFS I would expect a problem.

Finally you mention that you had trouble partitioning the drive when you
put it in the external case. What sort of trouble.

In article , Alan Kerr
writes

Nicholas D Richards wrote:
[...]

Nicholas D Richards wrote:

In article , Alan Kerr
writes

Old January 25th 05, 12:50 AM
Alan Kerr

Nicholas D Richards wrote:
[...]

Nicholas thanks for your help. The drive is installed correctly and
cables are fine. I did format the HDD to NTFS, is this my problem? Is
there any way of reformatting the HDD? I don't have the original drive
to try that again. The partition problem I had was trying to remove the
Compaq partition use Partition Magic. I've had the same problem in the
past, Partition Magic doesn't recognize the Compaq partition. The QR
disk loads Me but I think it does this over W98.

Alan
Old January 27th 05, 10:16 PM
Alan Kerr

Nicholas thanks. I fitted the HDD into an external HDD then connected it
to my desktop then formatted the HDD to FAT 32 format and now as I write
this the QR disk is restoring my laptop system.

Cheers
Alan

Nicholas D Richards wrote:

[...]

Nicholas D Richards wrote:

In article , Alan Kerr
writes

When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
P2B shuts down with a click and blue screen w/message jbclem1 Asus Motherboards 1 February 20th 04 02:13 PM
Blue screen playing Games Where's Wally Nvidia Videocards 3 December 9th 03 10:54 PM
A problem with the screen saver and DOS Ful screen programs Manfred Preußig Nvidia Videocards 0 August 2nd 03 05:04 PM
B S O D (Blue Screen Of Death) MiniDisc_2k2 General 6 July 18th 03 12:30 PM