MS DOS REFORMAT REInstlALING OPERATING SYSTEM!

Old July 10th 03, 05:17 PM
Paula M

Default MS DOS REFORMAT REInstlALING OPERATING SYSTEM!

Hey all.
I really need help, computer is compaq 5000 (desktop) don't have all the
details to it, as it's my sister's. But I can get them if needed! What i
do know is

That we had to reformat her hard drive thru msdos - because the recovery
disk wouldn't work, nothing worked - couldn't get into anything to do with
the computer (my computer/controlpanel, nothing at all) kept comin up with
some error) She has a 30gb hard drive, which was partioned...was windows
ME operation system.

So anyhow - we reformated, fdisked, repartioned it, try to boot up by floppy
and everything else (even recovery cd) - nothing has worked!!! In a last
hope, we tried to install 98 by boot disk, to see if that would work - Stil
NOTHING!

Just comes up with a A: promt thingy....but we can't do much from there.
We tried setup.exe, and all those things -but nothing.. We have looked at
various way to install it..tried many ways - nothing!

Can anyone give me an detailed way to do this? We are totally at lost, on
how to get this computer back up and running. I'm really hopein someone
knows what they are doing, cuz we don't anymore - we are at lost!

Thanks!!

Paula

Old July 10th 03, 07:37 PM
Homer Simpson

You should be able to boot the recovery cd, if the PC is 4 years old or less
(early models couldn't boot CDs). Be sure there is no floppy disk in the
drive. Put the recovery CD (Quick Restore) in the CD drive. Turn the PC
off. Turn the PC on. See if it boots the CD and gives you a menu to
restore.

If that doesn't work, look around for a companion floppy that came with the
Quick Restore CD. It might be necessary to put both in (not sure on a
5000). Turn on PC. See if it boots floppy, then activates CD, then gives
you a menu.

If that doesn't work, you may need to come up with a boot floppy that can
activate a CD drive. They are available on the net if you look around a bit
(http://support.buympc.com/file_lib/boot.html for one). Make a CD
activating boot floppy and boot it. When you get to the a:\ prompt, type
the CD drive letter followed by a colon (might be R:, might be D:, could be
anything). You should get to a R:\ prompt. Now try different possible
commands (SETUP, START, INSTALL, QR, etc.) to see if you get a menu to use
for restore.

If that doesn't work, report back with your results and somebody can
probably take you to the next step.

.. .

Old August 9th 03, 12:23 AM
skids

What do you do when the "For Compaq Presario PCs' Only / Microsoft Windows
98se Updates" disk tells you that it will only run from Windows? This after I
fdisked and formated. This is a model 5360.

skids

doS wrote:
http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

Old August 10th 03, 11:58 PM
Spam Buster

"HH" wrote in message
news | If you do not have the QuickRestore CDs to restore Win98, you are out of
| luck. The 98SE updates CD only contains the SE updates only. I doubt
Compaq
| still has the QRs with Win 98. You might have to buy your own copy of
Win98
| or possibly Me. Be sure to get the full version, not an upgrade.
| HH
|

| "skids" wrote in message
| What do you do when the "For Compaq Presario PCs' Only / Microsoft
Windows
| 98se Updates" disk tells you that it will only run from Windows? This
| after I
| fdisked and formated. This is a model 5360.
|
| skids

Call 1-800-go-compaq

The restore you're running is expecting the necessary bytes on Drive D.

For a full restore you need another CD. Most likely Compaq/HP can still
provide the CD. Probably for the cost of shipping.

SB

Old August 12th 03, 02:58 AM
HH

Unlikely they have ANY Win 98 or 98SE Restore kits still in stock.
HH