Small form factor computers

Old June 2nd 04, 05:10 PM

Default Small form factor computers

Anybody here own a SFF.... small form factor computer?

If yes...Im curious if they use standard parts such as hard drives and
optical drives and memory
Old June 2nd 04, 06:36 PM
Dave C.

wrote in message
Anybody here own a SFF.... small form factor computer?

If yes...Im curious if they use standard parts such as hard drives and
optical drives and memory

Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit for
a friend. They use standard hard drive, optical drive, memory and CPU, as
well as standard video cards and expansion cards. The ony thing
non-standard is the mainboard and (in some cases) the CPU cooler. You might
also find some with non-standard power supplies.

IF you go that route, choose a SFF system with as much built-in stuff as
possible. While the SFF use standard parts, they are so small that they
can't fit much. For example, you will be lucky to get one AGP slot and one
PCI slot and one bay for one standard optical drive. I've read some models
can fit two hard drives, but I wouldn't plan to install more than ONE hard
drive in an SFF system, even if it's possible, due to extra heat and airflow
problems that would create. So whatever features you need in your system,
try to find an SFF that includes as many of them as possible, as you might
be limited in adding new features (internally, anyway) later.

But they are just a tad more expensive to build than a desktop, while still
being semi-portable (most have optional carrying cases) and offering more
upgrade potential than a notebook. -Dave

Old June 2nd 04, 06:48 PM

But they are just a tad more expensive to build than a desktop, while still
being semi-portable (most have optional carrying cases) and offering more
upgrade potential than a notebook. -Dave

Thanks for reply Dave!! That helped a lot

Im curious abt them for not only myself but also for my 18 yr old
nephew who is off to college next year.

He has a Gateway that has shot craps..... and Im contemplating putting
together a SFF unit for him. It would be nice for the portability
reason you mention. Plus it is somewhat "fixable" whereas laptops are
not.

But Im also interested in them myself as my current Dell PC is getting
"long in the tooth also". LOL
Old June 2nd 04, 06:49 PM

Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit for
a friend.

Which Biostar model will you use? Is it Intel based? Will you buy it
from NewEgg?

IF you go that route, choose a SFF system with as much built-in stuff as
possible. While the SFF use standard parts, they are so small that they
can't fit much. For example, you will be lucky to get one AGP slot and one

Good idea on getting as much built into motherboard as possible
Old June 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Pete

"Dave C." wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Try this site for more info:

http://www.mini-itx.com/

Hope it gives you some answers

Pete

Old June 2nd 04, 07:05 PM
Dave C.

Thanks for reply Dave!! That helped a lot

Im curious abt them for not only myself but also for my 18 yr old
nephew who is off to college next year.

He has a Gateway that has shot craps..... and Im contemplating putting
together a SFF unit for him. It would be nice for the portability
reason you mention. Plus it is somewhat "fixable" whereas laptops are
not.

But Im also interested in them myself as my current Dell PC is getting
"long in the tooth also". LOL

My friend has a teenager approaching college age also (it will be his
system). -Dave

Old June 2nd 04, 07:14 PM
Dave C.

wrote in message
Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit

for
a friend.

Which Biostar model will you use? Is it Intel based? Will you buy it
from NewEgg?

I'm probably going to go with the following model for my build, but the
black version of it. I particularly like the nforce2 chipset with xp
processors, which is why I'm leaning toward that model. But biostar makes
several SFF systems for Intel P4 processors, with either Intel 865 or SIS
651 chipsets. I haven't looked to see what Newegg has available. I buy
most of my components from www.mwave.com BTW, if you do decide to build
SFF, you might want to look for a compact keyboard to go with it. mwave
sells one (harman?) in black for less than twenty bucks. One of the nice
things about the SFF is the portability. I can't imagine carrying a
full-size keyboard with one would be much fun though. -Dave

http://www.biostar-usa.com/ideqdetai...del=ideq+200nb

Old June 2nd 04, 07:46 PM
Dick Sidbury

But they are just a tad more expensive to build than a desktop, while still
being semi-portable (most have optional carrying cases) and offering more
upgrade potential than a notebook. -Dave

Thanks for reply Dave!! That helped a lot

Im curious abt them for not only myself but also for my 18 yr old
nephew who is off to college next year.

He has a Gateway that has shot craps..... and Im contemplating putting
together a SFF unit for him. It would be nice for the portability
reason you mention. Plus it is somewhat "fixable" whereas laptops are
not.

yeah but sff computers are not really portable. You can't conveniently
take them anywhere and they need a place to plug in plus the monitor and
keyboard ... are all separate items.

I got a notebook for my daughter when she went off to college and she
was very pleased. I'm a college prof and noticed that when I surveyed
my students this year more than half of them had notebooks. I love sff
computers for the desktop but notebooks have lots of advantages. I have
three or four computers for myself (plus others for my wife and
daughter) and if I were restricted to one would keep the notebook.
Fortunately, I'm not restricted.

But Im also interested in them myself as my current Dell PC is getting
"long in the tooth also". LOL

Well if you don't need portablility or if you already have it in
addition to your desktop, I highly recommend a SFF machine. I'm looking
to build one from a Soltek box. It's about an inch wider and taller
than a Shuttle box and two inches deeper but it holds two 4.25 external
drives and 2 3.5 inch drives, one external.

dick

Old June 2nd 04, 08:57 PM
Mark

Check out:

http://www.marksmusiccomputers.com

for one example system. Mainboard has standard 2 IDE channels, but the case
used only has room for one laptop HD and one slimline CD. One DIMM slot,
but you can get up to 1 gig sticks, so that shouldn't limit you drastically.

pix include closeup of rear panel..

HTH.

Old June 2nd 04, 09:03 PM

I'm a college prof and noticed that when I surveyed
my students this year more than half of them had notebooks.

Is there some REAL reason to have a laptop while in class itself? In
your opinion that is?

Biostar small form factor Eddy General 1 November 16th 04 04:20 PM
Site for SFF (Small Form Factor) information ***JB General 1 October 6th 04 07:11 PM
Best low cost Small Form Factor BareBone PC, Shuttle? Arawak Homebuilt PC's 2 June 2nd 04 09:35 PM
Which is Best Inexpensive small form factor case & motherbord or barebone? (Shuttle-type) Arawak Overclocking AMD Processors 1 March 8th 04 02:28 AM
Any small form factor computer enthusiasts here? Biostar [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 14 January 16th 04 07:06 PM