Second internal HD not detected

Old November 23rd 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
ritter197

Default Second internal HD not detected

I have tried 2 different harddisk, connected them with a 80 type cable, (the
disk runs when I turn on computer) but upon startup the computer does not
see this disk.

I am using winxp, sp 2 and AMD dual core CPU.AMD 64

I have tried to plug the second disk to the top of the cable and also to the
middle of the cable. It makes no disference.

I also set this second disk to Slave.

Why would it not work?

Old November 23rd 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

"Ritter197" wrote in message
I have tried 2 different harddisk, connected them with a 80 type cable,

(the
disk runs when I turn on computer) but upon startup the computer does not
see this disk.

I am using winxp, sp 2 and AMD dual core CPU.AMD 64

I have tried to plug the second disk to the top of the cable and also to

the
middle of the cable. It makes no disference.

I also set this second disk to Slave.

Why would it not work?

First disk connected to end of cable set jumpers to master with slave
Second disk connected to middle of cable set jumpers to slave

Cable should be no more than 18 inches with connecttions
on motherboard side at end
slave connection 12 inches from motherboard connection
master connection 18 inches from motherboard connection

There is a difference with the jumpbers between master and no slave
and master with a slave connected.

Has the motherboard connector EVER seen both drives connected
with different drives? Bad controler on motherboard? Bad cable?
Bad controller on hd? All connections turned on to AUTO in cmos?

laster,
charles......

Old November 24th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
ritter197

I cannot do that since the second disk is a IDE disk and the first with the
OS is a SATA disk.
Yes, at 1 time some weeks ago I could use the internal extra disk but I do
not remember whether it was this hard disk or another. But I tried this time
both.

I connected the second internal IDE disk with the 80 cable and have tried to
have it at the very end of the cable and also in the middle.

Either way does not work yet.

"***** charles" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 24th 06, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:52:45 GMT, Ritter197 wrote:

I cannot do that since the second disk is a IDE disk and the first with the
OS is a SATA disk.
Yes, at 1 time some weeks ago I could use the internal extra disk but I do
not remember whether it was this hard disk or another. But I tried this time
both.

I connected the second internal IDE disk with the 80 cable and have tried to
have it at the very end of the cable and also in the middle.

Either way does not work yet.

With one disc it has to be on the end of the cable and jumpered either
as master or cable select. You should also check in the BIOS that the
master is enabled for that interface. You may have some way of probing
for the drive in the BIOS.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old November 24th 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

"***** charles" wrote in message
. ..

"Ritter197" wrote in message

I cannot do that since the second disk is a IDE disk and the first with

the
OS is a SATA disk.
Yes, at 1 time some weeks ago I could use the internal extra disk but I do
not remember whether it was this hard disk or another. But I tried this

time
both.

I connected the second internal IDE disk with the 80 cable and have tried

have it at the very end of the cable and also in the middle.

Either way does not work yet.

Your original question did not indicate that you were using TWO DIFFERENT
technologies. I assumed that BOTH disks were IDE. Now if the
"first" disk is a SATA and it has the OS on it and it boots normally
and the "second" is an IDE and it is connected to the first IDE
channel as master and it is on the end of the cable and if the
jumpers are set to master with only one drive and the bios is
enabled to see it and it doesn't show up in drive manager in XP
then you have a hardware failier. Either the IDE subsystem is
broken on the motherboard or the cable is broken or the controller
circuits on the hd are broken.

laster......

Old November 24th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
ritter197

I determined (adn Partition Magic ) confirmed that the 2nd hard disk had
gone bad.
To-day I bought a 300 GB external drive with fire wire connection and it
works great.

Thanks for all the help you guys extended.

u...

Old November 27th 06, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

I guess I forgot to mention to run the diagnostic program
from the company that manufactured the hard drive in
the first place.

later......

"Ritter197" wrote in message
I determined (adn Partition Magic ) confirmed that the 2nd hard disk had
gone bad.
To-day I bought a 300 GB external drive with fire wire connection and it
works great.

Thanks for all the help you guys extended.

u...