Installing More Memory on Presario 5009

Old February 27th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Adman

Default Installing More Memory on Presario 5009

I am trying to install more memory on my Presario 5009. I have 3 128mb
SDRAM 100 memory sticks in the machine now. I purchased a 256mb SDRAM 100
to replace one of the 128 sticks. When I install the 256 stick the computer
will not boot, nor recognize the memory. The harddrive starts, but so
compaq spash screen. I've tried all sorts of combinations for seating the
memory, but nothing seems to work. When I put the 3 128 sticks back in
everything works fine again. I know the new memory is the right kind.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old February 27th 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

How confusing can you get? HP sold three different models of Presario 5009.
Yours must be the one with the Athlon chip in it, because that is the only one
with 3 DIMM sockets.

The only possible explanations here a
1. The memory is just plain defective.
2. The memory has high density chips on it, rather than low density.
3. The memory does not conform to the motherboard specs in some other way, such
as it is registered not unregistered.

If you got the memory from a reputable source, I'll guess that the motherboard
requires low density memory, i.e. memory with more chips on it. Count the
chips. If the number of chips is not 16, you may not have the right memory
there... Ben Myers

Old February 28th 07, 05:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Adman

Thanks Ben,

I do have the 5009R. I got the memory from a local computer store. It is
Micron memory. The stick that came with the computer orginally had chips on
only one side of the memory stick. I have two sticks with chips on one side
and one stick with chips on both sides.

Old February 28th 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

What is the Micron part number on the white sticker? How many chips on each
side? If the 256MB stick you bought has chips on only one side, it is high
density memory likely incompatible with your system.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 04:25:40 GMT, "Adman" wrote:

Thanks Ben,

I do have the 5009R. I got the memory from a local computer store. It is
Micron memory. The stick that came with the computer orginally had chips on
only one side of the memory stick. I have two sticks with chips on one side
and one stick with chips on both sides.

.. .

Old March 1st 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Adman

The Micron part number of the 256 stick is MT16LSDT3264AG-10EE1. It has 8
chips on each side for a total of 16.

wrote:

Thanks Ben,

I do have the 5009R. I got the memory from a local computer store. It is
Micron memory. The stick that came with the computer orginally had chips
on
only one side of the memory stick. I have two sticks with chips on one
side
and one stick with chips on both sides.

. ..