Bios with SCSI card 2940 in W4000

Old December 22nd 03, 08:45 PM
DEJ57

It might just be that you will just have
to live with an F1 step during boot and count your blessing the controller
and
SCSI devices work once the OS is loaded.....

I believe that the 2940 only had drivers that were intended for WIN95. Shortly
I'm going to try to get the 2940 working with WIN98SE. I'm not clear on this
particular subject--the driver, or rather, the BIOS, is loaded during boot, so
I would have guessed that the controller card and SCSI devices would not have
cared what OS is running, but perhaps that's naive on my part. Sure hope I
don't have to buy a newer controller card to run my SCSI devices under
WIN98SE.....if it would run and the only difficulty I faced was a F1 step
during boot, I'd be happy.....

Dale
Old December 22nd 03, 10:04 PM
Malcolm Ball

In article , DEJ57
writes
I'll try and help but I am a little confused.
The error message appears to be telling you that the BIOS for the 2940 is not
being installed. With my 2940, during boot, I always get a message saying
"BIOS successfully installed!" (OS WIN95b). I'm not sure but I think the 2940

From what I remember You only get the 'BIOS' messages if the BIOS is
enabled in the SCSI card. Press CTL-A during POST to get into the SCSI
BIOS. With the SCSI BIOS disabled SCSI devices on the controller will
work, but You may not be able to boot from them.

I've got a 2940 and XP working good as gold using the XP provided
drivers.

--
Malcolm Ball
replace delete with newsB for a valid reply to.
Old December 22nd 03, 10:52 PM
DEJ57

Press CTL-A during POST to get into the SCSI
BIOS. With the SCSI BIOS disabled SCSI devices on the controller will
work, but You may not be able to boot from them.

Could be! I started using the card in 1996, with WIN95a, and got the
impression the BIOS had to be enabled for it to work, period. If I had a SCSI
device conflict or if the controller conflicted with something, my rememberance
is the BIOS would not load, and the card and devices were not available. So
over the years I've kept it at what I believe is the default, enabled. Never
tried to boot from any of the SCSI devices, so I've never considered that
perspective.
I may have to see if I can download the manual for the 2940 and review. Thanks
for the information! And as I make changes over the next few weeks I'll post
the results and test some different configurations.

I did email Adaptec and asked if the 2940 and its most current drivers would
work with WIN98se, but got no response, so looks like I get to roll the dice
and find out for myself.

Dale
Old December 27th 03, 09:02 AM
Alan Kerr

Dale, thanks I tried what you said but no joy. I think I'll have to live
with hitting F1 during bootup. No big deal I guess.

Alan

DEJ57 wrote:
I'll try and help but I am a little confused.
The error message appears to be telling you that the BIOS for the 2940 is not
being installed. With my 2940, during boot, I always get a message saying
"BIOS successfully installed!" (OS WIN95b). I'm not sure but I think the 2940
has very specific resources required and perhaps you are having some type of
conflict causing the BIOS not to be installed. Moving the card around in
different slots might be a simple cure. Look in Device Manager for conflicts
and make changes to cure them.

But the confusion is that you said the 2940 works fine, and I don't understand
how that happens if the BIOS for it doesn't get loaded/installed. Perhaps your
OS has drivers of its own that let it work for you, and you don't need the
Adaptec BIOS installed during boot? It might just be that you will just have

Old December 27th 03, 09:23 AM
Alan Kerr

Malcom, it all looks enabled, one thing I'm not sure about was in :

SCSI Device Configuration

Send Start Unit Command 1 to 7 are all NO. Should they be NO or YES?

Alan

Malcolm Ball wrote:
In article , DEJ57
writes

I'll try and help but I am a little confused.
The error message appears to be telling you that the BIOS for the 2940 is not
being installed. With my 2940, during boot, I always get a message saying
"BIOS successfully installed!" (OS WIN95b). I'm not sure but I think the 2940

From what I remember You only get the 'BIOS' messages if the BIOS is

Old December 27th 03, 08:47 PM
Malcolm Ball

In article , Alan Kerr
writes
Malcom, it all looks enabled, one thing I'm not sure about was in :

SCSI Device Configuration

Send Start Unit Command 1 to 7 are all NO. Should they be NO or YES?

Alan

That depends (to some extent) on the way the SCSI device is jumpered.
You've nothing to loose (crossed fingers) by changing it to yes for any
device that's installed. If it makes no odds You can always change it
back to no.
--
Malcolm Ball
change delete to newsb etc.