gateway laptop and internet connection

Old March 15th 07, 02:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

Default gateway laptop and internet connection

I have my gateway laptop, picking up signals from my gateway desktop via
dsl modem.
The question I have is why sometimes my laptop tells me there is no
available wireless connections, even though I could be two feet away from my
desktop with the laptop?(And the desktop IS connected and receiving fine
from the internet)
I find this so strange. If I wait a while, sure enough within ten
minutes or so, it will pick up the connection. When the laptop is in its
normal place in house(a back bedroom-office), it does the same thing. So it
makes no difference where in the house the laptop is.
Any explanations?

Much regards Jerry

Old March 15th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Poltergeists? Radio interference? Malfunctioning wifi adapter? What type
is it? I am partial to the Intel 2200BG and 2915ABG as adapters inside the
notebook chassis.

Wifi adapter in the notebook gone to sleep? Check the settings for the wifi
adapter to see if it can be powered down automatically to conserve power.

Possible incompatibility between wifi adapter and wifi router? I still use an
older Linksys 802.11b router here, and it sometimes stops wifi-ing when
confronted by a notebook with a newer 802.11g adapter. I'm getting tired of
this, and may eventually spring for the bucks to replace it... Ben Myers

Old March 15th 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

As always Ben, thanks a lot for the quick response.
When I get home tonight, I will check to see whats in the box.
I believe the notebook has the 802.11 but I need to make sure.

Much regards Jerry

Old March 19th 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

Poltergeists? Radio interference? Malfunctioning wifi adapter? What
type
is it? I am partial to the Intel 2200BG and 2915ABG as adapters inside
the
notebook chassis.

Wifi adapter in the notebook gone to sleep? Check the settings for the
wifi
adapter to see if it can be powered down automatically to conserve power.

Possible incompatibility between wifi adapter and wifi router? I still
use an
older Linksys 802.11b router here, and it sometimes stops wifi-ing when
confronted by a notebook with a newer 802.11g adapter. I'm getting tired
of
this, and may eventually spring for the bucks to replace it... Ben Myers

Ben,

the laptop has the 802.11g adapter(laptop is about a year
and a half old).
The desktop that I am receiving signal from, does not have a router, but a
dsl modem from verizon.
Any suggestions on what to do? Sometimes, I cant get a signal
at all, but if I restart the laptop, I seem to make a connection. Not sure
why this is. How do I check on this?
Much regards Jerry

Old March 19th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

If I understand this setup, there is a desktop connected to a DSL modem and the
desktop also has its own wifi card in it. Then you are attempting to make a
peer to peer connection with the desktop? If so, I would hard code the IP
addresses of the 802.11 adapters in both desktop and notebook. For either one,
you can usually create separate profiles used to connect to wifi in different
networks. Assign IP addresses like 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201. That way
the two computers will "see" each other as members of the same subnet.

If I have misunderstood, please clarify... Ben Myers

Old March 20th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
If I understand this setup, there is a desktop connected to a DSL modem
and the
desktop also has its own wifi card in it. Then you are attempting to
make a
peer to peer connection with the desktop? If so, I would hard code the
IP
addresses of the 802.11 adapters in both desktop and notebook. For
either one,
you can usually create separate profiles used to connect to wifi in
different
networks. Assign IP addresses like 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201.
That way
the two computers will "see" each other as members of the same subnet.

If I have misunderstood, please clarify... Ben Myers

Ben:
Yes the desktop is hardwired to a dsl modem. I do
not believe there is a wifi card in it. I am picking up with my laptop, the
wireless signal send through the dsl modem. It has an antenna on it.
How should I procede. When it comes to these type of
things with computers, I really dont know as much as I should.

Much regards Jerry

Old March 20th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Oh! The DSL modem has built in wifi! Then it must also be set up to serve
DHCP, i.e. supply an IP address to a computer that requests connection. I do
not know which model of DSL modem you have, but there is some possibility that
it may be set up incorrectly. I think I would contact Verizon or whomever
provides the DSL modem and broadband service. What make/model is the DSL box?
It is clearly more than a modem, likely also with built-in router capabilities.
Does it also have 2 or more Ethernet ports, one of which is used by your
desktop/tower computer?

There is some possibility that the wifi modem in the notebook is not working,
either because it is defective, or its internal antennae are disconnected, or
because its drivers are fubar. What is its make and model? ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:33:58 GMT, "J.Lef" wrote:

.. .

Old March 20th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

[...]

Thank Ben for following up. The dsl modem which is plugged
into the desktop is a westell 327w, which is provided to me through
verizon.

Any help you can offer, will be appreciated as always.

Much regards Jerry

Old March 21st 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Jerry,

First, here is the URL for the Westell documentation:

http://www.westell.com/content/sales/327W.pdf

Second, just to troubleshoot, I would connect my notebook to the Westell using
an Ethernet cable, just to verify that everything is working. While at it,
write down the IP address and other stuff (DNS addresses, internet gateway,
etc.) To do this, start up a command box (like an old DOS box), and enter the
command IPCONFIG /ALL . (As an aside, I find it wonderfully ironic that clanky
old Windows 95 had the GUI WINIPCFG program to view these settings, but XP
retains the same old NT/Unix command. Ahh, progress!) If your notebook
accesses the internet with an Ethernet cable, which it should, you know that the
327W is serving IP addresses correctly.

You may want to examine the wireless settings inside the 327W. To make it
really simple, your wireless transmitter should have a pretty unique name,
called the SSID. How about LefNet? It probably defaults to operate on
channel 6. And to make it all really really simple, make sure the 327W has wifi
encryption disabled (turned off). Yes, you are running a wide open insecure
wifi, but that is the first step in troubleshooting. The 327W appears to be
modern, supporting the fastest 802.11g standard.

Finally, attempt to connect from your laptop via wifi with the computer only a
few feet from the 327W. This reduces the possibility of radio interference,
which is a major pain in the ass in home wifi networks. Been there. Too
often.

Also, please supply the make/model of the wireless card, either inside your
notebook or installed as a PC Card. Gateway may have chosen a dog of a wifi
product, or maybe it is defective. No problem. These are cheap and easy to
replace, especially if you have teeny tiny fingers for working inside the
laptop's modem/wifi bay.

And you may want to contact Verizon. They have been pretty helpful when I have
contacted them on behalf of my clients... Ben Myers

SNIP

Old March 21st 07, 12:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

As always Thanks Ben.
Your time spent is always appreciated. It looks
like I have a project for the weekend now to take care of. LOL. I will
keep you posted after I attempt your suggestions this weekend.

Much regards Jerry
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

Slow internet connection using XP help Injam General 4 July 22nd 06 03:30 AM
Help-INternet connection Mel General 1 September 11th 05 02:03 AM
K8N Internet connection porblem John & Mary Cook Asus Motherboards 0 April 29th 05 06:42 PM
Help no connection to Internet Lee Bray Gateway Computers 4 June 13th 04 07:17 AM
Internet Connection Siegfried Zech AMD x86-64 Processors 1 March 18th 04 02:18 PM