P6X58D Premium USB 3.0 speeds

Old August 6th 13, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
dave

Default P6X58D Premium USB 3.0 speeds

What kind of write speeds on a 1 gig movie file
could I expect? I'm seeing about 20 MB/S to a
Lexar LJDS73 16 gig stick. The strange thing is, it's
the same speed on my 2.0 ports...
I have updated my bios and the usb drivers to the latest.

Thanks,
Dave
Old August 7th 13, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

dave wrote:
What kind of write speeds on a 1 gig movie file
could I expect? I'm seeing about 20 MB/S to a
Lexar LJDS73 16 gig stick. The strange thing is, it's
the same speed on my 2.0 ports...
I have updated my bios and the usb drivers to the latest.

Thanks,
Dave

To calibrate bus performance, you should be using read tests.
If you use write tests, the flash chip performance could be
the bottleneck. Reads offer the best opportunity for heroic
results.

Run HDTune benchmark against your S73 and see what you get.
I have an S73, and I get 35MB/sec over USB2. I have no USB3
to test with! The S73 can only go a little faster than that,
over USB3. Maybe 45MB/sec reading. Test it and see.

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

If you do better than I did (35MB/sec), then I'd say USB3
protocols are working for you.

*******

Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0AT0F10582

Read Speed up to 45MB/s
Write Speed up to 20MB/s

There you go. You'll only be dazzled, during the HDTune
read benchmark. If you see a flat line at 45MB/sec, it's all
working as it should. On writes, you'll see little difference
between USB2 ports and USB3 ports. Because the flash chips
are the limit.

Paul
Old August 7th 13, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
dave

Paul wrote in :

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

Thanks Paul.

There doesn't seem to be any setting on HDTune to tell if it
is benchmarking reads or writes.
I am getting 33MB/s on usb 2 and 43MB/s on my usb 3 port. I was
thinking my S73 was capable of more than that.

Dave
Old August 7th 13, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

dave wrote:
Paul wrote in :

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

Thanks Paul.

There doesn't seem to be any setting on HDTune to tell if it
is benchmarking reads or writes.
I am getting 33MB/s on usb 2 and 43MB/s on my usb 3 port. I was
thinking my S73 was capable of more than that.

Dave

That sounds reasonable.

I got 35MB/sec on USB2.

The 43MB/sec number, is slightly less than the 45MB/sec
promised by the advertising copy.

The thing is, for the S73, the 20MB/sec writes won't strain
either USB2 or USB3. So we can't really do write tests and hope
to prove anything.

HDTune Free does reads only. HDTune Paid Version does both
read and write. The Free version is safe, as all it can do
is read testing.

There are some USB3 sticks out there, which go faster than
the S73. A little pricey though. Not quite as thick
as the first generation Patriot quad-channel ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1K60E52688

Capacity 64GB
Read Speed Up to 200MB/s
Write Speed Up to 120MB/s

I got my S73 on sale and have no complaints about it.

Paul
Old August 8th 13, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
dave

HDTune Free does reads only. HDTune Paid Version does both
read and write. The Free version is safe, as all it can do
is read testing.

There are some USB3 sticks out there, which go faster than
the S73. A little pricey though. Not quite as thick
as the first generation Patriot quad-channel ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1K60E52688

Capacity 64GB
Read Speed Up to 200MB/s
Write Speed Up to 120MB/s

I got my S73 on sale and have no complaints about it.

Paul

Ditto for me on the S73...as a matter of fact I bought 3 of them! That gave
me more storage space than the 32 gig one I was looking at, for the
same money.
No complaints, now that I know that is the speed it's capable of. I was
thinking my MB had the problem.

Thanks

Dave

HD speeds tumppiw Homebuilt PC's 7 December 8th 12 09:11 PM
Bootup of P6X58D halts during POST hrh1818[_2_] Asus Motherboards 3 August 28th 12 01:36 AM
Asus Mobo P6X58D-E, backing up and configure SATA as IDE Sam Homebuilt PC's 7 June 3rd 10 03:13 AM
P5GD2E Premium vs P5AD2E Premium SR Asus Motherboards 0 March 8th 06 05:33 PM
P5AD2-E Premium (925XE) versus P5WD2 Premium (955X) NXIL Asus Motherboards 1 June 12th 05 12:30 PM