Problem installing second hard disk drive

Old April 27th 04, 06:14 PM
Steven

Default Problem installing second hard disk drive

I am having a problem installing a second hard disk in my Dell
Dimension 4550

Yesterday, I tried installing a Quantum Fireball 30GB hdd in my
computer. First I made sure that both were set to "cable select" (this
is the default setup of the original hd in my machine). Then, I added
the second drive using the next plug on the ide cable, and the power
plug that was remaining. I then started my computer, it went by the
Dell config screen, gave me a "keyboard error" message, and proceeded
to start Windows XP Pro. When it got to the login page, I selected my
login with the mouse, but was unable to type anything.

I shut down the computer with the shutdown icon in the lower lefthand
corner of the screen.

I then unplugged the new disk, and rebooted...no keyboard error.

I then changed my disk to a master/slave config, and repeated the
process, with the same result. When I plug in the 2nd hd, I get a
keyboard error.

The hard disk was used in a porteable hd case before, and is formatted
as a Win XP drive with no os.

Anybody out there come up against a similar problem?

Steven
Old April 28th 04, 02:31 AM
Christopher Muto

try it on the secondary controller (remove a cd drive if necessary). if the
system boots with that configuration then re-partition and reformat this
additional 30gb drive and then try to reposition it on the primary
controller.

om...

Old April 28th 04, 11:43 AM
John and Pat

Even though the HD should be auto detected and recognized, I have had some
where I had to enter the BIOS and make sure the second IDE was set to auto.
Not that it is the problem but worth a look.

Also be sure of any BIOS updates for your system.

Regards,
John O.

om...