Samsung ML-2151N and Memory Upgrade

Old June 19th 04, 06:54 AM
Larry

The SimpleTech is shown as a 128MB 100P DIMM PC100 CL2 2BNK module.

It's in the printer right now, but if I remember correctly it has 4 chips
per side.

I have the full specs in one of the emails I sent to the tech support (?)
folks. I'll have to repost it later though as I'm not logged into that
partition at the moment.

-Larry

"Corey J. Motel" wrote in message
om...
Rob:

I'd be grateful if you could post some data regarding the Samsung
supplied DIMM that came with the printer as well as for the two
3rd-party DIMMs you tried.

The Samsung has four SDRAM chips on the DIMM, correct? What about the
other two?

For any given SDRAM chip on each DIMM, what is everything that is
screened/stamped onto it? (I'm trying to figure out the manufacturer
and P/N of each.)

I've seen the Kahlon claim as well and hoped it would be a solution
for the CLP-550. It appears as though it will not be. If you've
returned it already, how have they been regarding processing your
return?

(Larry - I'd be grateful if you could post the same chip data for your
SimpleTech DIMM.)

Thanks.

Regards,

Corey J. Motel

(Rob C) wrote in message

. com...
Any updates to this situation? I purchased memory for the ML-2152W
from
www.4allmemory.com and www.kahlon.com, both claimed to be
compatible with the ML-00MD/XAA 128MB part. Neither works. The one
from 4allmemory gave me a TSKROOT 0983 error (?) and the one from
kahlon is just not recognized.

Old June 19th 04, 07:23 AM
Winey

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:51:23 -0400, "Larry" wrote:

No, the situation is the same.

SimpleTech says "Live with it".

Well, I emailed SimpleTech just yesterday but no reply yet.

Samsung says "Only our Modules work right".

Yes, and the check is in the mail ...

There is no doubt Samsung screwed up a simple memory standard to push their
own memory module.

I will not forget this the next time it comes to buy a printer. It won't be
a Samsung.

Uh, what about the basic features and functionality of this printer?
Try finding the same price/value with an HP laser printer. And,
compared with Brother, I prefer the Samsung print quality.

And let's not talk about Lexmark. None of this is meant to excuse
Samsung from screwing up the memory upgrade.

The SimpleTech appears to work. Duplexing is now at full speed.

Have you tried to "load up" the printer past 144 MB? What happened?

Add this with the 1/2 full toner in the box and it adds up to the last

I'm not as upset about that. Remember that the 1/2 full cartridge is
still rated for 4000 prints. Not too bad.

Samsung printer I'll ever buy, and given the support I've received, possibly
the last Samsung product at all I'll ever buy.

You have a very valid point there.

-Larry

"Rob C" wrote in message
. com...
Any updates to this situation? I purchased memory for the ML-2152W
from www.4allmemory.com and www.kahlon.com, both claimed to be
compatible with the ML-00MD/XAA 128MB part. Neither works. The one
from 4allmemory gave me a TSKROOT 0983 error (?) and the one from
kahlon is just not recognized.

I sent a couple of e-mails back and forth with Samsung regarding
availability. Samsung themselves lists the part as special order with
2+ week ETA and a price of $499 - conservatively a 400-900% markup.
They are the only manufacturer as well. They were unable to give me
the contact info for a retailer who had any stock of the actual
Samsung part. So, basically, they are the only ones making them, and
they're not making them... Oh, and they're barring third-parties from
making them too... Service like that makes me want to line right up
for another Samsung printer.

I've ordered the simpletech upgrade just to get something that works,
albeit not 100%. If you haven't seen any problems other than the
memory sizing issue, I'd be willing to deal with that, or at least
more willing than handing over $500 for a perfectly working upgrade..
Anybody else had success with the simpletech upgrade?

"Larry" wrote in message

Yeah, it _seems_ to work ok, but that's not the point

-Larry

"Winey" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:55:58 +0100, Peter
wrote:

"The ML-2151N MUST use a Samsung memory module.Other modules are

NOT
supported.Part number for the 128MB module is ML-00MD/XAA.You can
purchase
this module from Samsung accessories at 800-459-3272."

[snip]

If it's any consolation we have never been able to get 3rd party

memory
work in Samsung 2150 range of printers, apparently they use a really

old
spec. of memory.

We've tried lots of suppliers who all claim to have memory that works

but
after they have supplied us with 4 or 5 different dimms they always

admit
they can't.

To the Original Poster: Regardless of what size memory the printer
reports, does it work as intended? That is, do pages render faster?

To Peter: What does "does not work" really mean. Not usable at all,
works only partially, or simply reports back as the wrong size?

Peter
http://www.printerbase.co.uk

I just bought a 2152W (the W for the future) and I have the printer
hooked up to my home LAN. Wow, what a great printer for the money!
I paid US $ 375 with shipping, from a seller on EBay.

Old June 19th 04, 02:55 PM
Rob

I can understand your frustration about the memory and service but I
sure don't understand the bit about the 1/2 full starter cartridge.
I've run across this with other manufacturers. Samsung certainly isn't
the only one doing this. Besides, when I looked up the specs on their
site before I bought mine it clearly said it came with a starter
cartridge for 5000 instead of the normal 10000 pages. They can't be
more up front than that can they?

Rob

Old June 19th 04, 06:01 PM
Larry

There's no argument that at $450 the printer provides a _very_ good feature
set for the cost.

But, like a Razor, the initial cost isn't where it ends.

Add $150 for a real toner and $500 for the Samsung memory module, and you
have to think twice.

Samsung KNOWS that 16MB of memory is not sufficient for effective duplex
printing.

I could have lived with the Toner situation alone. But the memory situation
really set me free on this whole deal.

I love the printer. I just don't think I can buy another one from them.

-Larry

Old June 20th 04, 02:35 AM
Rob

You should have bought the ML-2550 Larry. It's fast (25p) and comes
with 32 megs so it duplexes at full speed. I paid 820 Canadian which
is about $600 US.

"Larry" wrote:

There's no argument that at $450 the printer provides a _very_ good feature
set for the cost.

But, like a Razor, the initial cost isn't where it ends.

Add $150 for a real toner and $500 for the Samsung memory module, and you
have to think twice.

Samsung KNOWS that 16MB of memory is not sufficient for effective duplex
printing.

I could have lived with the Toner situation alone. But the memory situation
really set me free on this whole deal.

I love the printer. I just don't think I can buy another one from them.

-Larry

.. .

Old June 24th 04, 07:10 AM
Winey

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:54:05 -0400, "Larry" wrote:

The SimpleTech is shown as a 128MB 100P DIMM PC100 CL2 2BNK module.

It's in the printer right now, but if I remember correctly it has 4 chips
per side.

I have the full specs in one of the emails I sent to the tech support (?)
folks. I'll have to repost it later though as I'm not logged into that
partition at the moment.

Any updates to this situation? I purchased memory for the ML-2152W
from www.4allmemory.com and www.kahlon.com, both claimed to be
compatible with the ML-00MD/XAA 128MB part. Neither works. The one
from 4allmemory gave me a TSKROOT 0983 error (?) and the one from
kahlon is just not recognized.

I emailed Simple Tech recently to ask about their ML-215x 128 MB
upgrade showing up as 256 MB. their response was essentially that
their upgrade product works fine, people are happy with it, and the
mis-reporting of printer memory is a printer firmware issue, for
which Samsung should issue an upgrade.

Anyone know how to actually contact Samsung support and get their
attention?
Old June 24th 04, 07:02 PM
Larry

I've already been through all this with Samsung. You are wasting your time.
Trust me...

Their only response, regardless of what you say, is "Buy our module. Here
is the part number".

Of course they are charging $500 for it.

-Larry

Old June 25th 04, 10:54 PM
Rob

I have to say though that I'm not thrilled with the multi-purpose
tray. You put a stack of paper (in my case, label sheets) and slide
the pages against the forward stop. The tray rises for each feed, the
eccentric wheel turns and grabs the top sheet. When the tray falls,
the page which is now the top sheet sometimes remains sort of half
indexed in the slot and doesn't fall back down with the rest of the
sheets. This throws off the indexing and the sheet gets printed a
little lower than it should. You might not notice on a sheet of typing
but you do on labels. Not thrilling. I don't know how designs get
implemented and out the door that don't work properly. Mind you I work
with engineers so I should be used to this by now. There is so much
stuff out there that is badly or half-assed engineered...But they'll
swear they had 14 focus groups and users galore approved of 'x'.
That's why I like Dilbert. It's all TRUE.

"Larry" wrote:

I considered that, but no one in my area had one when I needed it

-Larry

.. .

"Larry" wrote:

There's no argument that at $450 the printer provides a _very_ good

feature
set for the cost.

But, like a Razor, the initial cost isn't where it ends.

Add $150 for a real toner and $500 for the Samsung memory module, and you
have to think twice.

Samsung KNOWS that 16MB of memory is not sufficient for effective duplex
printing.

I could have lived with the Toner situation alone. But the memory

situation
really set me free on this whole deal.

I love the printer. I just don't think I can buy another one from them.

-Larry

.. .