what do you do when you loose sound on a built in ?

Old April 21st 04, 01:53 PM
Bf

Default what do you do when you loose sound on a built in ?

Asus A7n8x-x, AMD 3000+ cpu, winxp pro

It was working fine but now under control panel / sounds it reads "no audio"

When I looked up device manager it had problems (yellow question marks) with
some codecs and midi driver so I uninstalled all of those rebooted and had
the system detect any hardware to which it came up with the codecs and midi
driver and installed them properly.

But I still do not have any audio from the sounds aplet.

Any ideas?

If its the case where the on board sound is dead would it be worth it to
replace the mother board (warrenty) or just get a sound card. I have been
wanting to get a new sound system. And if I should replace the MB would the
new one "snap" in and run with out having to reload the os?

Thanks for all your help!!

Old April 21st 04, 02:33 PM
kony

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:53:06 GMT, "Bf" wrote:

Asus A7n8x-x, AMD 3000+ cpu, winxp pro

It was working fine but now under control panel / sounds it reads "no audio"

When I looked up device manager it had problems (yellow question marks) with
some codecs and midi driver so I uninstalled all of those rebooted and had
the system detect any hardware to which it came up with the codecs and midi
driver and installed them properly.

But I still do not have any audio from the sounds aplet.

Any ideas?

If its the case where the on board sound is dead would it be worth it to
replace the mother board (warrenty) or just get a sound card. I have been
wanting to get a new sound system. And if I should replace the MB would the
new one "snap" in and run with out having to reload the os?

Thanks for all your help!!

It doesn't appear that your motherboard's sound is dead, merely that the
OS was misconfigured or the driver not fully installed.

Uninstall the entire driver and use the newest nForce driver at

You might try installing just the Audio driver offered there but if that
doesn't work then install the whole "Platform" driver.
Old April 21st 04, 05:56 PM
CBFalconer

Bf wrote:

About a megabyte of the following junk, tying up each phone line
subscriber for about 3 minutes to no purpose:

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C42863.01D1DA60

Qk0GswcAAAAAADYAAAAoAAAAcAEAAMkBAAABABgAAAAAANCyBw AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA4eHh
4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4e Hh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh
4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4e Hh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh4eHh

PLONK for idiocy.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush.
"Churchill and Bush can both be considered wartime leaders, just
as Secretariat and Mr Ed were both horses." - James Rhodes.

Old April 21st 04, 07:01 PM
kony

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:10:00 GMT, "Bf" wrote:

Uninstall the entire driver and use the newest nForce driver at

You might try installing just the Audio driver offered there but if that
doesn't work then install the whole "Platform" driver.

Thanks. I tried both but I still have nothing.

Any ideas of what might've happened previously to cause this? File
deletions, another sound card installed/uninstalled, a Windows Service
Pack, or changing bios settings?

I'm out of ideas except that you could do a repair install of XP.

Please don't post binaries (pictures or files) to the newsgroup.

Old April 21st 04, 08:33 PM
Bf

"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:10:00 GMT, "Bf" wrote:

Uninstall the entire driver and use the newest nForce driver at

You might try installing just the Audio driver offered there but if

that
doesn't work then install the whole "Platform" driver.

Thanks. I tried both but I still have nothing.

Any ideas of what might've happened previously to cause this? File
deletions, another sound card installed/uninstalled, a Windows Service
Pack, or changing bios settings?

I'm out of ideas except that you could do a repair install of XP.

Please don't post binaries (pictures or files) to the newsgroup.

oh yeah sorry. I haven't changed anything or installed anything on this
machine prior to the loss of sound. What does the repair install do just
load the os while keeping all settings for previously loaded programs?

thanks

Old April 22nd 04, 12:03 AM
kony

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:33:26 GMT, "Bf" wrote:

I'm out of ideas except that you could do a repair install of XP.

Please don't post binaries (pictures or files) to the newsgroup.

oh yeah sorry. I haven't changed anything or installed anything on this
machine prior to the loss of sound. What does the repair install do just
load the os while keeping all settings for previously loaded programs?

Yes it reloads the OS, meaning you'd also need to redo patches and service
packs if applicable.

You might also consider looking around web forum, there may be other users
with same issue, even a solution.

For example there's
http://www.amdmb.com/vb/search.php
Old April 22nd 04, 09:16 AM
keith

I had a similar prob,when i looked in the BIOS id had deactivated itself,i
activated it and bingo everything ok.
Keith

Old April 22nd 04, 12:10 PM
Bf

On board ac97 audio controller? Nope its set to auto, I should set it to
disable then reenable to try to trip it in to working.

Old April 22nd 04, 05:07 PM
ProfGene

Motherboards don't "snap in" you have to rehook up the case wiring which
requires looking at the manual to see where each wire connects. You also
have to put the processor in and the fan on top of it and this is tricky
because the new fans require you to use a screwdriver placed in a small slot
with quite a bit of pressure. And it is always wise to start with a fresh
install of the OS. You might try removing the audio drivers and see if
Windows will recognize new hardware. This is always the best first try when
you lose sound. If you want to get a new soundcard the there is most likely
no need to replace the MB.

Old April 24th 04, 06:40 PM
Bf

I meant snap in the light hearted sense, I built this machine.

I've removed all the audio related devices and had windows detect anything
and it came up with all the same audio drivers, codecs and ports as before.
Yet still no sound.

I'll probably just order new sound card / speaker package.

Thanks